Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up


Looking for skin, hair or nail care tips? Considering cosmetic or anti-aging procedures? Get your questions answered here!

Find more info see our Healthy Beauty Center

If your question is not related to cosmetic procedures, anti-aging, or beauty please post it on Skin Problems & Treatments Community.
Burn and white marks
JJ_USA posted:
Hello Doctors,
My little girl who is 6 years old got burned with extremely hot water on her face, chest and stomach area.
As first aid treatment, cold water, ice, and 'burn shield' was applied on her shoulder, chest and stomach.
The places where the burn shield was applied, there developed NO blisters and the skin was reddish for a few days.
After a few weeks, we noticed some white marks and scars on her chest and stomach areas. The skin was nit bubbled where the burn shield was applied.
We seen a couple of doctors that time and they've told to apply Calamine Lotion on the affected areas. We are doing it for the past 6 weeks without fail.However, we see the white marks like a hypopigmentation still not fading away.
Are these marks permanent?Are there any sort of treatment / cream etc to regain the damaged skin where she got burned.
I'm worried since its a baby girl and the skin discoloration on her face, chest and stomach area.
Could you please advice?
Thanks in advance.

Featuring Experts

Mohiba K Tareen, MD is a board certified dermatologist who has an innovative practice in Roseville, Minnesota. Tareen Dermatology ( www.TareenDermato...More

Helpful Tips

Facial Control
One of the most important things in preventing lines and to nip it in the butt when they're just starting, is to be aware of what your face ... More
Was this Helpful?
1 of 1 found this helpful

Expert Blog

Secrets of a Beverly Hills Cosmetic Surgeon - Robert Kotler, MD ,FACS

Dr. Robert Kotler gets beneath the surface to discuss selecting a cosmetic surgeon, computer imaging, celebrity makeovers and more...Read More

Related Drug Reviews

  • Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems to the
Food and Drug Administration

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.