Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up

Announcements

Looking for skin, hair or nail care tips? Considering cosmetic or anti-aging procedures? Get your questions answered here!

Find more info see our Healthy Beauty Center

If your question is not related to cosmetic procedures, anti-aging, or beauty please post it on Skin Problems & Treatments Community.
Includes Expert Content
Acne Boil or something serious?
An_246060 posted:
Just recently, I got a boil on my nose and it has become red and big.

I'm doing warm compresses on it but it doesn't seem to be doing anything. It really does look terrible and I'd like to know what you guys think i should do.

I'd post a picture but its just very...bad looking.

It created a bump on the upper side of my nose and I really don't know what to do anymore.
This is the 5th or 6th day its been there.

Mohiba K Tareen, MD responded:
Dear An,
It could be an inflamed cyst, an abscess, a staph infection or several other conditions.

Do you have a fever, tenderness, or pain?

Call your doc and get in for potentially a culture, drainage, antibiotics, or an injection.

Please keep us posted.

In the meantime, a small amount of benzoyl peroxide gel or cream applied to the spot may help.

Iamgoobypls replied to Mohiba K Tareen, MD's response:
it was pretty painful a few days ago along with a really bad headache but I have non of the symptoms at the moment.

with the warm compresses, it shrunk it a bit but its still there and the skin feels very...odd.

Could it get worse?

wheresalltheusername replied to Mohiba K Tareen, MD's response:
Thank you so much for your advice! I went to the doctor and I received an injection for my boil and throat infection plus some Clindamycin. My boil is pretty much gone, I'm only dealing with the peeling skin at the moment.

Once again, thank you so much!

Mohiba K Tareen, MD replied to wheresalltheusername's response:
Thanks so much for the update! I am happy that you are better.

Olivia_WebMD_Staff responded:
In addition to what you all have shared, here are some links from WebMD about boils that I hope will be helpful:

Boils Overview

Boils Slideshow (with pictures)

Featuring Experts

Mohiba K Tareen, MD is a board certified dermatologist who has an innovative practice in Roseville, Minnesota. Tareen Dermatology ( www.TareenDermato...More

Health Insurance in Your State

Learn about plans, benefits, and costs in your state's Marketplace.

From WebMD

Helpful Tips

Exfoliate 2 to 3 times per weekExpert
All skin types can benefit from exfoliation to remove dead skin cells and prevent fine lines and wrinkles. For sensitive skin, use a gentle ... More
Was this Helpful?
35 of 44 found this helpful

Expert Blog

Secrets of a Beverly Hills Cosmetic Surgeon - Robert Kotler, MD ,FACS

Dr. Robert Kotler gets beneath the surface to discuss selecting a cosmetic surgeon, computer imaging, celebrity makeovers and more...Read More

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems to the
Food and Drug Administration

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.