Skip to content


    Exciting News for WebMD Members!

    We've been busy behind the scenes building new message boards for you. You'll have new and easier ways to find messages, connect with others, and share your stories.

    And, this will all be available on your smartphone or other mobile device!

    What Do You Need to Do?

    The message board you're used to will be closing in the coming weeks. While many of your boards will be making the move to our new home, your posts will not. Want to keep a discussion going? Save posts you want to continue (this includes your member profile story), so that you can re-post them in the new message boards.

    Keep an eye here and on your email inbox, we'll be back in touch soon to give you all the information you need!

    Yours in health,
    WebMD Message Boards Management

    Getting 'scripts when my dermatologist retired?
    anna_bugz posted:
    I have PCOS and a result am prone to foliculitus on my chin. About three years I went to a dermatologist for an all-over cancer screening and he prescribed a benzoil peroxide gel for my face. I have been using it every night ever since and it has helped my skin significantly. The problem is, my prescription ran out and when I called the office, it was no longer a dermatologist! I assume my doctor retired. I've been without my acne gel for weeks now and my skin is a mess. Do I have to search down a new dermatologist and wait for an appointment just to get a prescription for some acne gel? Is it possible my PCP would prescribe it without a visit? I have a bunch of other appointments in the near future and it's a pain to go in just for acne gel. The other problem is, I don't remember the name of the gel! I tossed out my last bottle not releasing my perscription had run out, so I can't ask my PCP for anything specific. Help!
    Elizabeth_WebMD_Staff responded:
    Hi Anna_Bugz -

    This does sound frustrating, I am sorry you are experiencing this.

    Do you remember where you got the prescription, the name of the pharmacy? If you had insurance, the company may also have a record. At least you will know what you were prescribed.

    It is worth a call to your PCP or gynecologist to ask about prescribing something.

    Please let us know what you find out.

    - Elizabeth
    ~Love of beauty is taste. Creation of beauty is art.~
    Ralph Waldo Emerson

    Featuring Experts

    Mohiba K Tareen, MD is a board certified dermatologist who has an innovative practice in Roseville, Minnesota. Tareen Dermatology ( www.TareenDermato...More

    Helpful Tips

    Don't shave your legs before a pedicure!Expert
    Shaving the legs before going for a pedicure has been linked to an increase risk of infection from pedicure footbaths. This is because the ... More
    Was this Helpful?
    10 of 13 found this helpful

    Helpful Resources

    Be the first to post a Resource!

    Expert Blog

    Secrets of a Beverly Hills Cosmetic Surgeon - Robert Kotler, MD ,FACS

    Dr. Robert Kotler gets beneath the surface to discuss selecting a cosmetic surgeon, computer imaging, celebrity makeovers and more...Read More

    Related Drug Reviews

    • Drug Name User Reviews

    Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

    FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.