Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up

Announcements

Looking for skin, hair or nail care tips? Considering cosmetic or anti-aging procedures? Get your questions answered here!

Find more info see our Healthy Beauty Center

If your question is not related to cosmetic procedures, anti-aging, or beauty please post it on Skin Problems & Treatments Community.
Includes Expert Content
Best Look Good/Feel Good Tips?
Olivia_WebMD_Staff posted:
You know...those little tidbits that you've gotten from friends, family and magazines over the years.

What's the one best beauty (for gals) or looking good (for guys) tip that you've ever gotten and still use all the time?

Can't wait to hear them!

Olivia

~*~*~*~

Here's mine: Cold teabags for bags under the eyes. When I get up in the mornings I sometimes have really tired eyes, with dark circles and bags. My grandmother swore by just taking regular used teabags, putting them in the freezer and applying them to your tired, morning eyes. It seems to work better than anything else I have ever tried. So, enjoy your cup of tea in the evening and pop your teabag into a ziplock in the freezer. Tip...take them out of the freezer about five minutes before you want to use them so they aren't completely frozen.

monamia responded:
I've never done the teabags but did once try the whole cucumber slices thing (and promptly had an allergic reaction).

Anyway, my tip: Stay hydrated! Water Water Water.

SoCalSuz replied to monamia's response:
I am at constant war with my feet in the summer. I wear flip flops and spend lots of time on the beach and in the pool.

My feet looked 100 years old - I would slather on petroleum jelly and wear socks to bed - didn't work. They were cracked and nasty!

A friend bought me a pumice stone that I use in the shower - it's magic. I finally have my feet back. I"ll never be without one again!

wvsusan replied to SoCalSuz's response:
Suz, I agree 100% about the pumice stone. I've kept one in the shower for years; a good rub with the pumice and foot cream afterwards keeps your feet smooth & pretty. BUT -- if I were you, I'd limit the flip-flops to occasional wear. They provide no support whatsoever, and can contribute to your developing plantar fasciitis.

Plantar fasciitis is a painful foot condition; it can take months to go away. It's especially frustrating for active people, because the only thing that helps is rest. And who needs that? Especially in

Take it from someone who's been there: get a cute pair of sport sandals (Teva is a good brand) and limit your use of flip-flops.

Jeune1 replied to monamia's response:
Yes! I started keeping bottles that hold 24 oz at home and work. I make sure I drink at least 3 of those a day. It really gives you a nice glow (and for us 40ers, helps plump up the skin.)

Also - Baking soda. It is so versatile. I've used it with olive oil to lighten dark patches on my knees and elbows, it is a great and very gentle body scrub and can be used to remove shampoo/conditioner build up from your hair. And it is dirt cheap!

(One warning, if your face is very sensitive it may make you break out.)

An_246339 responded:
One suggestion that I have of course is to keep a good SPF chapstick. My lips used to always be dry/cracked. I used to always use the chapstick brand and as much as I used it on my lips, which was a lot!, I never used to get relief and I always wondered why. Well, I was told by someone that they actually use an ingredient in the chapstick that will tend to keep your lips chapped and dry so that you constantly have to reapply it (clever marketing scheme!). So I started using Bert's Bees, and oh how I have noticed a difference. It is a bit pricier, but you will reap the benefits!

Another excellent thing I discovered was Gold Bond brand lotion. Most lotions are thin and leave your skin feeling dry and bland, but Gold Bond makes your skin feel hydrated and soft, and will stay on your skin until you shower/bathe next. Yes, it will feel a bit greasy when you wash it off, but you will definitely see the difference. Listen to me, I feel like a spokesperson..lol, but I have tried many lotions because I have sensitive skin, and this one really works wonders!

Mohiba K Tareen, MD replied to An_246339's response:
Awesome tip about the Gold Bond, thank you An!

Undoubtedly, it is more effective to use a thicker lotion/cream/ ointment with less water content - they are undoubtedly more effective (plus, you are not wasting your money on added water!).

Featuring Experts

Mohiba K Tareen, MD is a board certified dermatologist who has an innovative practice in Roseville, Minnesota. Tareen Dermatology ( www.TareenDermato...More

Helpful Tips

Acne breakouts
Just wanted to pass along a tip for clearing acne breakouts. I found a herbal product that is called Acne Clear Results by Terra Therapies. ... More
Was this Helpful?
1 of 1 found this helpful

Expert Blog

Secrets of a Beverly Hills Cosmetic Surgeon - Robert Kotler, MD ,FACS

Dr. Robert Kotler gets beneath the surface to discuss selecting a cosmetic surgeon, computer imaging, celebrity makeovers and more...Read More

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.