Skip to content

Announcements

Looking for skin, hair or nail care tips? Considering cosmetic or anti-aging procedures? Get your questions answered here!

Find more info see our Healthy Beauty Center

If your question is not related to cosmetic procedures, anti-aging, or beauty please post it on Skin Problems & Treatments Community.
How Often Do You Wash Your Hair? The "No Poo" Movement
Elizabeth_WebMD_Staff posted:
I recently heard about the "no poo" movement on Health in a Heartbeat . The segment discussed the benefits of living a shampoo-free lifestyle or going a few days between washes.

Are there benefits to skipping shampoo?

Would you consider using only hot water to clean your hair or would you use a mixture of baking soda and apple cider vinegar?

Does the thought of using fewer products and less chemicals on your body make you interested?

How often do you wash your hair?

Elizabeth
- Elizabeth
~Love of beauty is taste. Creation of beauty is art.~
Ralph Waldo Emerson

lissmeanstrouble responded:
I have dryer curly bushy hair, that likes to twist a pop out at the slightest sign of moisture.
So I generally only wash my hair every 2- 4 days depending on what I do during that time. Lets say I had a really extensive workout, and sweat alot, or go camping and smell like camp fire, I would definitely wash my hair, but if I am just working during the week, or relaxing over the weekend I dont wash my hair.
I have been putting baby oil into my hair after every wash since I was 13 and I am convinced it weighs it down from being poofy.
I have always hated my hair, but now that I hardly wash it, its become alot healthier, and longer and everyone compliments how pretty it is!

phoebe57 responded:
I have fine hair and after a couple of days it's flat and just hangs so I have to wash every other day or so. I have rinsed it with only water and it didn't do much as far as making it look a bit more "lively." I try not to use too much product on my hair but sometimes a girl just can't help it.

Barbara1953b responded:
I have just for the last few months gone from shampooing daily to twice a week because I have thinning hair. The hair seems to be thicker now. For awhile, I wasn't rinsing it either, but now I do rinse it daily 'cos I suffer with hot flashes and the hair gets salt in it from my perspiration. I am glad I changed.

Barbara1953b replied to phoebe57's response:
Phoebe, it took my hair a couple of weeks to "adjust" to being shampooed only twice a week and now it is easily as manageable (if not more) than when I washed it daily. Hats are great for those couple of weeks.

konsuala2 responded:
Shampooing your hair everyday is actually not healthy for the average person. Its basically a way to sell more shampoo. The scalp produces natural oils that are good for the scalp and the hair. It will build up over time, 2 to 3 days roughly speaking, and that is when your average persons hair is dirty. Shampooing everyday strips your hair and scalp of these oils, drying out the scalp, causing itchiness, dry hair which is prone to splitting, breaking, and frizziness. Only exceptions are those who have excessively oily skin or perhaps have 'dirty' jobs. Its best to shampoo every 2 to 3 days. I often just use conditioner on days im not shampooing. On a side note, treseme is the best store brand out there. Avoid brands like pantene and fructis, they arent good for your hair.

Featuring Experts

Mohiba K Tareen, MD is a board certified dermatologist who has an innovative practice in Roseville, Minnesota. Tareen Dermatology ( www.TareenDermato...More

Helpful Tips

Don't shave your legs before a pedicure!Expert
Shaving the legs before going for a pedicure has been linked to an increase risk of infection from pedicure footbaths. This is because the ... More
Was this Helpful?
10 of 13 found this helpful

Expert Blog

Secrets of a Beverly Hills Cosmetic Surgeon - Robert Kotler, MD ,FACS

Dr. Robert Kotler gets beneath the surface to discuss selecting a cosmetic surgeon, computer imaging, celebrity makeovers and more...Read More

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.