Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up

Announcements

Looking for skin, hair or nail care tips? Considering cosmetic or anti-aging procedures? Get your questions answered here!

Find more info see our Healthy Beauty Center

If your question is not related to cosmetic procedures, anti-aging, or beauty please post it on Skin Problems & Treatments Community.
Includes Expert Content
dull skin
An_248067 posted:
Hi,
I am 29 years old Indian women with medium brown complexion,From past 10 years the area around mouth is little darker than rest of the face and i also have dark circles under eyes .I have large pores,blemishes and pits(from past acne) on my cheeks.
I developed jawline acne from my last pregnancy which was a year ago,this still continues.I get a lot during my periods,Its painful and itchy and it spreads.

My morning regimen includes
cerave foam cleanser followed by neutrogena spf 15 oil free moisturizer

My night regimen
cerave foam cleanser/neutrogena foam cleanser and makeup remover followed by neutrogena pore minimizer toner with AHA BHA. followed by neutrogena multivitamin retinol cream followed by benzoyl peroxide 10% ointment which i use only on acne.

retinol and benzyol peroxide worked well in beginning only.
I eat healthy ,I drink enough water,i dont smoke or drink alcohol.I sleep 5-6hrs.My skin is still looks very dull and hopeless.
I even met dermatologists, but no use.

Please suggest any over the counter creams or home remedies that really really work to clear my skin, jawline acne,even out skin tone,banish dark circles and brighten /lighten my complexion.

Mohiba K Tareen, MD responded:
Dear An,

You do have the key ingredients (ie BP, aha/bha, retinol) covered.

Have you tried a prescription strength retinoid (instead of the neutrogena one)?

Initially, you will get peeling, but your skin will definitely be brighter

geni55 replied to Mohiba K Tareen, MD's response:
You might also try some scrubs. You can buy some that are not bad at the store, or look online and make your own. Something with sugar for the scrub, maybe honey and lemon.
I like to use honey, lemon, vitamin E,C and D, CQ10, and sugar with a pinch of cinnamon. Mix them well with a pestle or whisk and leave it on for about 10 minutes. Right before you rinse, rub it in gently and rinse well in cool to warm water
This helps remove dead skin, the honey and sugar are healers and the lemon will help with skin tone
I know my complexion looks great when I use this. If you need moisture, try adding some avocado or olive or jojoba oil.
You can look for ingredients that sound like they will tailor for your specific needs online

Featuring Experts

Mohiba K Tareen, MD is a board certified dermatologist who has an innovative practice in Roseville, Minnesota. Tareen Dermatology ( www.TareenDermato...More

Helpful Tips

Don't shave your legs before a pedicure!Expert
Shaving the legs before going for a pedicure has been linked to an increase risk of infection from pedicure footbaths. This is because the ... More
Was this Helpful?
10 of 13 found this helpful

Expert Blog

Secrets of a Beverly Hills Cosmetic Surgeon - Robert Kotler, MD ,FACS

Dr. Robert Kotler gets beneath the surface to discuss selecting a cosmetic surgeon, computer imaging, celebrity makeovers and more...Read More

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.