Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up

Announcements

Looking for skin, hair or nail care tips? Considering cosmetic or anti-aging procedures? Get your questions answered here!

Find more info see our Healthy Beauty Center

If your question is not related to cosmetic procedures, anti-aging, or beauty please post it on Skin Problems & Treatments Community.
Whiteheads on face
emersonkelly posted:
Hi all,

This is Emerson. I'm 25 years old. I have whiteheads on my face, getting irritated of this. How to get rid of this?? Please suggest me some home remedies!!

Thanks in advance!!

number3nw responded:
Hi Emerson,

I have been struggling with this for a long time and it may turn out soon, pending the results of my food allergy test, that I've been misdiagnosing myself the whole time, and that my blemishes are actually a form of dermititis due to a food allergy. I haven't gotten my test results back yet, but I'm hoping they turn up some food that I can just give up and get on with my life!

My suggestion: Don't give up!

An allopathic doctor or dermatologist will most likely prescribe you antibiotics, which is not good because antibiotics don't discriminate between the bad bacteria that may be causing you problems and the good bacteria that populate your intestinal flora which may help solve the problem. What's this about the intestine? The skin is the largest organ of your body and its function is elimination through the pores. If your gut and liver are backed up with toxins, guess where they come out? Your face.

Here are some things I am doing to try to help control the problem naturally at home:

taking 1 culturelle probiotic daily: this is hopefully helping to repopulate the beneficial bacteria that lives inside me

consuming foods with live active cultures daily: coconut yogurt, coconut kefir, and sauerkraut for me, as i've sworn off dairy. dairy is a common allergen. take for the same reason as probiotic.

taking liver cleansing supplements daily as well as drinking traditional medicinals dandelion root and liver cleansing teas.

taking 5 drops of liquid vitamin A daily and increasing the amount of vitamin A containing foods.

use a gentle natural cleanser sparingly (sometimes use only water) and use a light touch. you want the natural oils in your face to reach equilibrium. so you don't want to strip too much of your natural oil. so many anti acne products on the shelf are aimed at stripping and drying you (benzoyl peroxide), but fail to address getting your skin back to its natural healthful state.

use a natural noncomedogenic moisturizer when you need it. there are various oils you can use like shea butter or jojoba. it is good to add a little tea tree oil for its antimicrobial properties but don't use it full strength. vitamin E oil will help reduce scarring but it is sticky so combine it with something else. you can make your own mixtures or buy store bought.

taking black currant oil supplements: this is an affordable source of Gamma Linoleic Acid and Alpha LA and it supposed to support skin health.

using a sauna 3 or more times a week. this causes your pores to open and pour out what's bothering them. rinse in cool water, use a washcloth with a light touch and wipe off the dead cells your skin has produced.

taking relaxing baths as acne and skin problems have been associated with stress. the bath also helps to soften the dead cells of your skin for removal, moreso than a shower would.

see a naturopath and get a food allergy test! she has also prescribed me azelaic acid with tea tree, zinc, and vitamins, to help regulate oil production (hopefully not dry out!) and soothe inflammation.

consider seeing an aesthetician, a licensed cosmetologist who can perform facials and peels and things. a good one will let you know if you need to see a doctor.

avoid gluten, and I have seen it recommended to avoid grains altogether, and other inflammatory foods. that is where I am going with my own personal treatment.

although as i write this i have little white pimples on my face too, but i have just started this routine recently under the care of my naturopath.

I hope this helps! Good luck Emerson and don't give up!

number3nw responded:
some other things i think are worth doing...

increasing consumption of grapefruit, ginger, pomegranate, lemon and other foods with antimicrobial properties.

there are stretches and exercises you can do that are good for the liver. take hot lemon water in the morning and try "wind removing pose." look it up.

instead of a cleanser sometimes try the oil cleansing method, which feels great. you can look it up oilcleansingmethod.com or something like that.

number3nw responded:
also anti inflammatory foods like turmeric.

number3nw responded:
oh,i almost forgot! for however fringe some of these suggestions may seem, everyone agrees you ought to drink plenty of water all the time!!!

Featuring Experts

Mohiba K Tareen, MD is a board certified dermatologist who has an innovative practice in Roseville, Minnesota. Tareen Dermatology ( www.TareenDermato...More

Helpful Tips

Exfoliate 2 to 3 times per weekExpert
All skin types can benefit from exfoliation to remove dead skin cells and prevent fine lines and wrinkles. For sensitive skin, use a gentle ... More
Was this Helpful?
35 of 44 found this helpful

Expert Blog

Secrets of a Beverly Hills Cosmetic Surgeon - Robert Kotler, MD ,FACS

Dr. Robert Kotler gets beneath the surface to discuss selecting a cosmetic surgeon, computer imaging, celebrity makeovers and more...Read More

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.