Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up

Announcements

Looking for skin, hair or nail care tips? Considering cosmetic or anti-aging procedures? Get your questions answered here!

Find more info see our Healthy Beauty Center

If your question is not related to cosmetic procedures, anti-aging, or beauty please post it on Skin Problems & Treatments Community.
Includes Expert Content
Localized breakouts
Jeune1 posted:
Once upon a time I broke out all over my face. Now my breakouts are concentrated below my nose, particularly around my mouth and chin. They aren't the same as the acne I had as a teen. It is smaller, deeper in the skin and often painful. But it is pretty persistent and ... Yuck.

Could this be an allergy? Is the skin in that area significantly different from the rest of your face? Will I stop breaking out before I'm 90??

Mohiba K Tareen, MD responded:
Dear Jeune1,

Excellent question! This is a very common problem. Patients with acne can often develop resistant bacteria (such as staph or strep) that hide out in the nose and can cause painful, deep lesions in the perinasal area.

You need to see your primary doc or derm for a bacterial culture to determine which bacteria may be living in your nose and then be treated with the proper oral or topical antibiotic.

I hope that helps

ThreeOweThree responded:
Hello Jeune1,

You might want to take a look at the following link which will give you a lot of good information on demodex mites, which are microscopic ectoparasites that live in our pores and carry staphylococcus inside their bodies. When they die, their bodies liquify and release the staphylococcus bacteria which cause the break outs.

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC3232434/

It will interest you that neem oil is a very effective and safe way to eradicate demodex mites and it is available in all health food stores. One thing to keep in mind is that if the demodex mites are the root problem, when you start killing a bunch of them off, you may experience a die off reaction of sorts because there will be lots of dead mites releasing the staphylococcus into the pores, but you might find using tea tree oil helps with this as the tea tree oil is an excellent antimicrobial as well as an antiinflammatory. It can be somewhat drying, but other than that it is very safe to use topically.

If you have a chance, you might also want to consider using a sauna as this can really open up the pores and allow the sweat to wash a lot of things away. If a sauna is not available, hot steamy towels will work, but you need to be careful as to not burn yourself with them. It will also be a lot more work because they cool down so quickly.

I hope this is helpful and I wish you All the Best,

Featuring Experts

Mohiba K Tareen, MD is a board certified dermatologist who has an innovative practice in Roseville, Minnesota. Tareen Dermatology ( www.TareenDermato...More

Helpful Tips

Don't shave your legs before a pedicure!Expert
Shaving the legs before going for a pedicure has been linked to an increase risk of infection from pedicure footbaths. This is because the ... More
Was this Helpful?
10 of 13 found this helpful

Expert Blog

Secrets of a Beverly Hills Cosmetic Surgeon - Robert Kotler, MD ,FACS

Dr. Robert Kotler gets beneath the surface to discuss selecting a cosmetic surgeon, computer imaging, celebrity makeovers and more...Read More

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.