Skip to content

Announcements

Looking for skin, hair or nail care tips? Considering cosmetic or anti-aging procedures? Get your questions answered here!

Find more info see our Healthy Beauty Center

If your question is not related to cosmetic procedures, anti-aging, or beauty please post it on Skin Problems & Treatments Community.
Graying Gracefully - Do you cover your gray?
Elizabeth_WebMD_Staff posted:
Does gray hair make you feel old? Do you feel the need to cover your gray?

I wish I had the guts to just let it go, but I just don't have the patience to take the time to let it grow out.

How do handle your gray? Cover it or consider letting it go?

For more information see - Premature Graying: Reasons, Options

Elizabeth
- Elizabeth
~Love of beauty is taste. Creation of beauty is art.~
Ralph Waldo Emerson
FirstPrevious12NextLast

SoCalSuz responded:
HECK YES! I just turned 45 and the grey is advancing. I've done blonde-ish highlights in my hair for years and I'm not stopping now. Bummer is that once the grey showed up, I had to start coloring more often because the regrowth is more obvious.

My daughters 2nd grade teacher has absolutely beautiful silver hair (think Olympia Dukakis and Dame Judi Dench). If I had nice color like that, I might consider going grey but I have a few years to think about it.

Suz

monamia responded:
I'm 52 and naturally a dark blonde which has more grey and white in it nowadays. I cover - sorta. I long ago started getting soft blonde and red highlights to brighten up the dark blonde and now that greys and whites are in there, we're just continuing but with even softer colors. So the white and grey is there but it kinda mixes in with the rest.

I've never minded the idea of just letting myself go grey and I think I would do that if I was one of those lucky people whose hair goes a beautiful white. Mine isn't one of those. But maybe one day I will just let it go and that will be okay too.

SweetSusieB responded:
Ahhh Gray, nope not for me. Not now anyway, I have too much fun coloring my hair!

I treat my hair as an accessory. I love to highlight it and color it, I'm pretty sure there is gray under there somewhere but I don't really want to know!

I do agree some women and most men (why is that?) gray beautifully.

butterflygarden responded:
Unfortunately my hair has become more and more drab over the years. Now, at 48, if I let the gray come in I just look like I have a head full of dishwater.

I really envy those women who have great gray. It looks really awesome!

Me, I'll have to continue fighting the good fight to keep mine at bay.

Butterfly

Debsbears responded:
Well I guess I am a lucky one, my entire family went gray/silver by the time they turned 50. My mom died at 50 and was completely gray with silver highlights (natural) no dyes. My dad was solid white at 52.

I am 56 with dark brown hair and no gray/silver hair. I have one patch on my head that is natural light blonde (my birth mark) the area where the blonde hair comes out is red. It is also resistant to colors or perms. I am a hair dresser so I have tried everything possible to cover up this area and can not. The bad thing about it is that the birth mark is at the top of my head off to the side - I can't even cover it up with my own hair.

I do dye my girlfriend's hair every 2 months (very short hair) to cover her gray, but I think I will go natural.

Calvinmichigan responded:
let your gray grow in ### you will just enjoy and love it, and besides who it more importan than you when it comes to feeling good????

davedsel57 responded:
My wonderful wife started getting gray hair in her late teens. By her early 20's she was having her hairdresser color her hair. When we got married and started having children she started coloring her own. The only product that works for her is L'Oreal. Other brands do not cover her gray hair well. She has stopped and started coloring over the past decade. Went completely gray for a few years (it looks beautiful that way) then started coloring again when she decided to seek another job last year. A back injury at work last year has now disabled her and she can no longer work, so we are talking of her getting very light blond hair color and transitioning back to gray that way.

I have colored off and on over the past few years as well. I've used Just For Men, or shared my wife's box of color when she did it. I've also decided to stop and let the natural platinum blond shine through

Just because there is snow on the roof does not mean there is no fire inside.

lindacove responded:
I died my hair for 23 years! I have very thin hair and wear it short, so it needed to be died every 3 weeks. Well when I was 49 years old, I was diagnosed with thyroid cancer. I had the surgery and stayed home for a few weeks to heal. Then I had to undergo the radio-active iodine treatment. Since I work in an elementary school, I had to stay home an additional 3 weeks. By the time I was ready to go back to work, I got a haircut and realized that my whole head was grey, so I left it. Several people assumed that it was the radiation that made it gray. I got a few comments about dying it again, but for the most part I got lots of compliments. I felt they were just pitty compliments, but I didn't color it. After a month or two, I mentioned to some friends that I was going to die it again and they all told me that I was crazy. Now I am 5 years cancer-free and love the gray hair - it is a terrific gift I gave to myself and now I love it!
Linda Cove

sarah0323 responded:
I'm not sure. Right now I don't have enough to worry about. My dad is in his 60's and his hasn't started turning yet. His mom's still hasn't turned at 82. Hoping I take after them.

NJJazz responded:
Im 59 years young and have not dyed my hair for about 4 years now. Its about 60% gray and looks frosted since my natural color is pretty dark.

Many women think that going gray naturally is letting yourself get old. Its actually been the reverse for me. The freedom of not dying my hair has given me an almost new lease on life. Ive changed my makeup to adjust to lighter hair - and I get a ton of compliments all the time on my hair.

One of my better decisions and a nice fashion statement.

NJJazz replied to butterflygarden's response:
Butterfly -------------- there are plenty of ways to brighten your gray hair. Go for it.

bubbles_bobble replied to NJJazz's response:
53 dont want gray grey or greeeeeeeeeeeey..............
sorry but some are ok with it i'm not i'm heavy set and the only good thing on my body is my hair. i just wish it weren't so extremely costly! i'm also letting my hair grow in length and my mom always said i had to keep it short when i aged. bs
i have natural curly hair and i like it that way

xperky responded:
I'm going natural! My health has been bad lately due to rheumatoid disease and fibromyalgia. Those illnesses leave me with little energy and lots of trouble finding a "good" day to color my hair when the roots start showing. I can't afford to have it professionally done.

A couple months ago I colored it close to my natural light brown instead of the dark blonde I was using. I am not noticing lots of grey while it's growing out, but that may change. I'm fine with that and have always been fond of nature anyway...LOL.

What a relief not to stress about the whole thing! I have other things to do with my precious time and energy.

dfromspencer responded:
I'll be 54 this month, and the grey is mostly on the sideburns, with a little flowing down the side of my long hair. I've always heard that we men are distinguished looking with grey hair, really? I do not see that, but ok.

I have never, and never will use dyes or color of any kind. This is the hair i was given, and however it turns out, so be it!!! I have never been vain, i look like what i look like, and thats that. I wish more women felt that way. Why try to hide who you are? Be, and enjoy who you are.

Thats my motto, be who you are, not what others think you should be.

Dennis

Featuring Experts

Mohiba K Tareen, MD is a board certified dermatologist who has an innovative practice in Roseville, Minnesota. Tareen Dermatology ( www.TareenDermato...More

Helpful Tips

Don't shave your legs before a pedicure!Expert
Shaving the legs before going for a pedicure has been linked to an increase risk of infection from pedicure footbaths. This is because the ... More
Was this Helpful?
10 of 13 found this helpful

Helpful Resources

Be the first to post a Resource!

Expert Blog

Secrets of a Beverly Hills Cosmetic Surgeon - Robert Kotler, MD ,FACS

Dr. Robert Kotler gets beneath the surface to discuss selecting a cosmetic surgeon, computer imaging, celebrity makeovers and more...Read More

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.