Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up

Announcements

Looking for skin, hair or nail care tips? Considering cosmetic or anti-aging procedures? Get your questions answered here!

Find more info see our Healthy Beauty Center

If your question is not related to cosmetic procedures, anti-aging, or beauty please post it on Skin Problems & Treatments Community.
Includes Expert Content
Wrinkles and fine lines at 22?
loveiscure posted:
Hello every one. I'm 22 and noticing lines on my forehead and under my eyes, by my lips and on my jaws when I smile. I moisturize and stay out of the sun, I don't wear makeup..don't smoke, barely drink and don't tan. My Mom and Dad have good genes-no wrinkles and even my grandparents look great for their age. I'm also african american- if that matters. I don't know whats wring with me. I have low thyroid disease, thats not yet under control.. so I don't know if this is the cause or not..which i doubt because I have been under alot of stress and my body has to, from trying to balance my thyroid and work and school.
What bothers me the most are the two big lines on my forehead that I noticed 4 days ago...is this permanent?
FirstPrevious12NextLast

Mohiba K Tareen, MD responded:
Dear Love,

DO not despair- the extra stress will only manifest more in your skin.

Now is the time to consult w a baord certified dermatologist to start an effective, preventative anti-aging regimen. Typically, this would entail a topical anti-oxidant (such as vit C) and a retinoid, as well as a broad spectrum sunscreen.

As a woman of color (and also having hypothyroidism), I can relate to your concerns. Prevention is key and you will continue looking young and fabulous

I hope that helps
Dr. Mohiba Tareen
Tareen Dermatology, Roseville, Minn
Castle Connoly's America's Top Cosmetic Dermatologists
Adjunct Assistant Professor Univ of MN Dept of Dermatology
www.TareenDermatology.com

rohvannyn responded:
I only jump in because this wasn't mentioned. Make sure you are drinking plenty of water. Dehydration of your body can heighten wrinkles too.

Anon_77886 responded:
Ugh - this happened to me too around age 23 on my forehead and neck. I started using a lot of sunscreen around 14 years old and was never much of a tanner, but I had some bad burns as a child.

I sort of wish I'd started a retin-a regimen sooner (didn't start till I was in my late 30's, but think it could have been preventiative). So that's something to consider, at least in your late 20s. They have very low dose ones that you can get in generic form that are not as taxing on the skin. It can cost about $120 - $150 for a year supply if not covererd by insurance, but that is cheaper than buying a few jars a year at an Estee Lauder or other department store counter.

I would research vitamins like vitamin e too, stay hydrated (as a lifestyle) and keep up with the moisturizing.

Mohiba K Tareen, MD replied to Anon_77886's response:
Dear Anon77886,

Thank you for your excellent tips! Sunscreen and retinoids are the best, most proven tips for anti-aging. Keep up your good work!
Dr. Mohiba Tareen

loveiscure replied to Mohiba K Tareen, MD's response:
I moisturize and drink lots of water and I hate the sun. I just bad and terrible. Will retinoids actually get rid of them? how does it work? I just remember having a terrible headache and seeing lines and then next thing I know it was two. I have been stressing forever, but I don't know. Neither of my siblings have this and they are way older than I am. My skin has been acting up since my thyroid issues and I'm still trying to get it stable.
Here are the photos. I take vitamin D and fish oil and moisturize with Vitamin E collagen creme and vitamin E oil.
http://www.flickr.com/photos/91077344@N02/8271589569/in/photostream/
http://www.flickr.com/photos/91077344@N02/8276918103/in/photostream/

ps you may have to back away from the screen some to see them. They are really noticeable in person.

I moisturize and drink alot of water and hate the sun.
They just happened so suddenly. All I remember was waking up with a headache and seeing one line and then a week later I saw two. None of my siblings have them and they are way older than me. I have been stressing alot lately and my skin has been acting up since my thyroid issues and I'm trying to get that stable. I just feel so terrible. What exactly does retinoids do? can it actually get rid of it? is it safe?
here are pics are my forehead
the first one is what it looked like first and the second is now.
http://www.flickr.com/photos/91077344@N02/8271589569/in/photostream/
http://www.flickr.com/photos/91077344@N02/8276918103/in/photostream/

it may be hard to see but are very noticeable in person.
Ps you may have to back away from the computer to see it better.
Its two black lines going across.

Mohiba K Tareen, MD replied to loveiscure's response:
Do not worry, sunscreen and retinoids (prescription vitamin A creams that stimulate collagen and elastin while lightly exfoliating the top layer of the skin) can definitely help these
Dr. Mohiba Tareen

PhysicalChaos responded:
One of the most important things in preventing lines and to nip it in the butt when they're just starting, is to be aware of what your face does. [br>[br>You said that you're under a lot of stress, which can translate to your facial expression without you realizing it. If you wrinkle your forehead a lot, then that can cause crease lines.[br>Somebody pulling their eyebrows together a lot might have to deal with a stubborn vertical line right there.[br>[br>Even when you are very sure that you are controlling your facial expressions, think about how you sit while reading, writing, studying, on the computer, etc.[br>If you rest your head on your hand with your elbow on the table, it will cause lines as well if done often enough. Also gives you "computer elbow", which goes from just being red to being calloused and cracked.[br>[br>While Retinol is best in prevention of wrinkles, it does help to diminish them as well. But it's not a miracle cure. The aging progress will catch up with you.. [br>There isn't and never will be an easy cure for wrinkles. But they can be delayed by monitoring your own habits.[br>[br>Ok, I'm not saying to develop a face carved out of stone, which doesn't show emotions or any kind of life.. Be as you've always been when socializing. [br>But also remember that when you're under stress, your face can reflect that without you even noticing. Learn how your face feels in certain circumstances and confirm it by having a mirror handy. [br>[br>whew, that was a mouthful, lol. So I'm stepping off my soap box

sanfran responded:
hello, i wonder if you wear sunglasses when your outside, my eyes are very sunsensitive and it causes me to squint in bright lights and gives me more wrinkles . also i find using reading glasses with a bit of magnification will ease the squinting and fatigue while reading.

Thanks Dr. Tareen, I just wonder why so suddenly. I'm the youngest of seven and none of my sisters and brothers have them. Its seems they're getting more noticeable each day. I'm seeing a dermatologist Wednesday, hopefully all goes well. I'm just worried what they'll look like in my 30's.

loveiscure replied to PhysicalChaos's response:
PhysicalChoas, I don't wrinkle my forehead. Thats what I'm saying. I'm under alot of stress because of my low thyroid symptoms and being tired and dry skin and tons of others.

Hello Doctor Tareen,
I went to an dermatologist today, he said they were expression lines and prescribed tretinoin is that effective or should I ask for retinoid that you speak of?

Mohiba K Tareen, MD replied to loveiscure's response:
Dear loveisscure,

Tretinoin is the generic name of Retin-A and is great! Start being a religious user and your skin will not only look younger, it will also be healthier.

I think you went to a great derm!
Dr. Mohiba Tareen

TodayMark responded:
The fact that you are 22 and genetics don't seem to be a factor you're health probably is. Thyroid issue's have an effect on you're over all health. If you aren't getting enough sleep because of your schedule that alone can take it's toll on skin health. That, on top of thyroid issue's, can be very stressful to your skin. If someone isn't feeling well the first place it shows up is in their face. Chronic problems can have an even greater affect. De-stressing your self, getting enough sleep, and exercise, and getting your thyroid under control on top of good skin care is a important. If you don't have an active thyroid problem, such as hypothyroidism, it could be your diet and stress and lack of a sleep. Are you getting enough iodine in your diet? Sounds complicated but it's about a process of elimination to find the underlying trigger. Good luck!

Featuring Experts

Mohiba K Tareen, MD is a board certified dermatologist who has an innovative practice in Roseville, Minnesota. Tareen Dermatology ( www.TareenDermato...More

Helpful Tips

Facial Control
One of the most important things in preventing lines and to nip it in the butt when they're just starting, is to be aware of what your face ... More
Was this Helpful?
1 of 1 found this helpful

Expert Blog

Secrets of a Beverly Hills Cosmetic Surgeon - Robert Kotler, MD ,FACS

Dr. Robert Kotler gets beneath the surface to discuss selecting a cosmetic surgeon, computer imaging, celebrity makeovers and more...Read More

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems to the
Food and Drug Administration

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.