Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up

Announcements

Looking for skin, hair or nail care tips? Considering cosmetic or anti-aging procedures? Get your questions answered here!

Find more info see our Healthy Beauty Center

If your question is not related to cosmetic procedures, anti-aging, or beauty please post it on Skin Problems & Treatments Community.
Faint black line on finger nail
An_250665 posted:
I noticed a faint black line on my son's thump nail. It's perfectly straight from the cuticle to the tip. My son is eight years old. I have done some research online and it's pointing to subungle melanoma ? I have made an appointment with a dermatologist for next week. Any thoughts?

Anon_596 responded:
This could just be from bumping into or against somthing, and not remembering it. Or nutritional based. Here is a link I found on-line as the symptom checker and search here isn't working for me right now. Good Luck! Let us know what you find out.

http://www.examiner.com/article/that-vertical-black-line-across-your-fingernail-could-signal-a-medical-problem

Featuring Experts

Mohiba K Tareen, MD is a board certified dermatologist who has an innovative practice in Roseville, Minnesota. Tareen Dermatology ( www.TareenDermato...More

Helpful Tips

Facial Control
One of the most important things in preventing lines and to nip it in the butt when they're just starting, is to be aware of what your face ... More
Was this Helpful?
1 of 1 found this helpful

Expert Blog

Secrets of a Beverly Hills Cosmetic Surgeon - Robert Kotler, MD ,FACS

Dr. Robert Kotler gets beneath the surface to discuss selecting a cosmetic surgeon, computer imaging, celebrity makeovers and more...Read More

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems to the
Food and Drug Administration

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.