Skip to content

Announcements

Looking for skin, hair or nail care tips? Considering cosmetic or anti-aging procedures? Get your questions answered here!

Find more info see our Healthy Beauty Center

If your question is not related to cosmetic procedures, anti-aging, or beauty please post it on Skin Problems & Treatments Community.
Includes Expert Content
Facial Wounds
Pepper1992 posted:
Dr. Mohiba Tareen,
I am 20 years old and am curious if you could help me! I fell pretty badly while I was running in early December and unfortunately my face was hurt the most. I scraped my forehead, the bridge of my nose, the ball of my nose, and right above my top lip (the bridge of my nose was the deepest wound). I treated my wounds with neosporin and kept them clean. I visited my dermatologist in early January (as soon as I could) and he prescribed me with Mupirocin which I applied daily. Once the wounds closed I stopped using the Mupirocin, but applied sunscreen SPF 70 to my whole face daily and wore a hat to stay out of direct sunlight as my dermatologist told me the sun could speed up scarring. I continue to wear suncreen daily, a hat when I am in direct sunlight for an extended period of time (I don't wear a hat every day anymore), and I am using a cream at night called Mother of Pearl (Concha Nacar) which is a skin lightening cream. I am prescribed to Doxycycline which I take one daily, I wash my face with a mild face wash, and use a light moisturizer after each time I was my face. I try not to wear makeup on my pink skin too much because I'm not sure if it is bad for the healing process. My wounds closed up around late January and now are currently still pink. I recognize this is new skin but I am not sure why the skin is still pink and maybe inflamed. I am feeling helpless as my wounds aren't changing from this pink state. What do you recommend that I do? Am I doing anything wrong? I can send pictures so you can see.
Thank you,
Adrien P.

Mohiba K Tareen, MD responded:
Dear Adrien,

Great question! Often, after an injury, skin can stay quite long with the red- pink healing discoloration. The scientific name of this is called "post-inflammatory erythema."

You are already doing most things correctly. Continue the gentle skin wash, moisturizer and sunscreen. I would discontinue the Conchar Nacar in one area and see if that area seems to improve- often lightening creams can lead to irritation that may prolong the redness.

It seems like you already have a great dermatologist. Why don't you ask your derm if a prescription strength cream such am metrocream (often used for the redness of rosacea) or finacea (a prescription gel FDA approved to treat redness) would help?

I hope that helps. Please let us know how you are doing
Dr. Mohiba Tareen
Tareen Dermatology, Roseville, Minn
Castle Connoly's America's Top Cosmetic Dermatologists
Adjunct Assistant Professor Univ of MN Dept of Dermatology
www.TareenDermatology.com

Pepper1992 replied to Mohiba K Tareen, MD's response:
Dr. Tareen,
I greatly appreciate your reply! What do you suggest about make-up, is it OK that I am wearing cover-up on my pink areas? Will make-up prolong the redness or damage my skin in any way? I will try what you suggested regarding the Conchar Nacar cream, and will ask my dermatologist about the cream and gel you recommended. I have one more concern though: the bridge of my nose, in particular, feels tight sometimes and the wounded skin is not completely uniform to the the surrounding skin; the skin on the bridge of my nose is a bit uneven. I feel like I need to almost "plump" up this area of skin so it does not appear indented. Will my skin naturally fill in where it's needed, or is there something I need to apply to "rejuvenate" the skin cells?
Thank you,
Adrien P.

Pepper1992 replied to Pepper1992's response:
Also, is the Doxycycline (oral acne treatment) I'm taking once daily hurting my skin's healing?

Mohiba K Tareen, MD replied to Pepper1992's response:
The doxy is an anti-inflammatory and should not be hurting the wound healing response. The finacea (azelaic acid) or even a prescription retinoid can help spur collagen and elastin production for the nasal area. You should discuss that with your derm when you see him/ her. The retinoid may be too strong for your skin at this fragile point in your wound healing though, so it is critical to discuss that with the dermatologist as well.
Dr. Mohiba Tareen

Dr. Tareen,
Does liquid cover-up and powder make-up interfere with healing or cause scarring?
Thank you,
Adrien

Dr. Tareen,[br>Does liquid cover-up and powder make-up interfere with healing or cause scarring?[br>Thank you,[br>Adrien

Mohiba K Tareen, MD replied to Pepper1992's response:
Dear Adrienm
Make-up should not interfere with healing if it is labeled non-comedogenic -- this means it will not block the pores and allow proper wound healing.

I hope that helps
Dr. Mohiba Tareen

Dr. Tareen, I have been applying sunscreen to my face daily and still do a good job at wearing a hat if I know I will be in direct sunlight for an extended period of time but now I am curious to see if you have more advice: the bridge of my nose, where I had the worst wound, is still pink in color and the skin is uneven as if it is scarring. Is there anything I can do to prevent a bad scar, maybe a face mask or a certain cream? I would appreciate any help, Adrien

skinvogue responded:
I read all the discussion of you and Dr. Tareen. I am really pleased to read it. This is very common matter of skin in our life but we have not proper idea about it that how to treat this. So this is very helpful for all. As a reader your information is great for skin treatment. Thank you so so much for giving more information.

Featuring Experts

Mohiba K Tareen, MD is a board certified dermatologist who has an innovative practice in Roseville, Minnesota. Tareen Dermatology ( www.TareenDermato...More

Helpful Tips

Be the first to post a Tip!

Helpful Resources

Be the first to post a Resource!

Expert Blog

Secrets of a Beverly Hills Cosmetic Surgeon - Robert Kotler, MD ,FACS

Dr. Robert Kotler gets beneath the surface to discuss selecting a cosmetic surgeon, computer imaging, celebrity makeovers and more...Read More

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.