Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up

Announcements

Looking for skin, hair or nail care tips? Considering cosmetic or anti-aging procedures? Get your questions answered here!

Find more info see our Healthy Beauty Center

If your question is not related to cosmetic procedures, anti-aging, or beauty please post it on Skin Problems & Treatments Community.
Includes Expert Content
Crape Paper Skin
An_251683 posted:
My skin has been wrinkling fast lately. It is very dry,and looks like crape paper. I can't wear short sleeve tops, and shorts. Could you please tell me what I could do and what causes this.It is over my whole body.
Thank You, MaryC45

suebest1954 responded:
i'm having the same issues, interested in knowing how to improve the appearence of my skin too.

suzisixx responded:
I just recently read that safflower oil is chock full of ceramides and does wonders with plumping up the skin. I've been using it on my hands (I'm very oily everywhere else) and I've noticed the lines have been diminished significantly. And I'm not even that consistent with it! Anyway, it's all natural and you can pick it up from a grocery store for less than five bucks a bottle. Buy two and keep one for cooking (very good for you) and keep the other one in your bathroom.

geni55 responded:
I have a few words, SUNSCREEN, SUNSCREEN and Moisturizer
I am almost 60 and my hands and arms are the only things that give away my age. I have neglected them over the years and am regretting it now
Another thing I have found that helps is the alpha hydroxy products. I have pretty sensitive skin, so I have to be careful, but I really like the 'Revitalift' products. The night cream I use a couple of nights a week on my face and I've used it a couple of times on my arms and noticed an improvement. I am hesitant to use this right now since I sometimes forget to use sunscreen on my arms.
If its really bad and or bothering you a lot, I would suggest you visit a dermatologist. The root cause of this is loss of collagen from aging, and environmental irritants, like sun, air pollution, or smoking

Miliblu replied to suzisixx's response:
And how old are you?

KiwiHeather responded:
My thoughts are fluids fluids fluids ....... keep moisture up locally as well through oils or moisturisers but best thing is loads of water. Genetics can play a part. And so can air-conditioned/artificially heated buildings. Good luck. KiwiHeather

suebest1954 replied to suzisixx's response:
thanks, i'll definitely give this a try

suebest1954 replied to Miliblu's response:
I'm 58 and have been noticing this happening for the last couple of years

Mohiba K Tareen, MD replied to suebest1954's response:
A good retinoid (vitamin A derived cream) can help thicken and promote new collagen production. I typically have patients start with an over- the -counter strength such as ROC retinol or Neutrogena retinol. Use this for a few months and you will definitely see improvement. Subsequently, you can ask your doc for a prescription strength retinoid which will give you even more improvement.

I hope that helps
Dr. Mohiba Tareen
Tareen Dermatology, Roseville, Minn
Castle Connoly's America's Top Cosmetic Dermatologists
Adjunct Assistant Professor Univ of MN Dept of Dermatology
www.TareenDermatology.com

Featuring Experts

Mohiba K Tareen, MD is a board certified dermatologist who has an innovative practice in Roseville, Minnesota. Tareen Dermatology ( www.TareenDermato...More

Helpful Tips

Exfoliate 2 to 3 times per weekExpert
All skin types can benefit from exfoliation to remove dead skin cells and prevent fine lines and wrinkles. For sensitive skin, use a gentle ... More
Was this Helpful?
35 of 44 found this helpful

Expert Blog

Secrets of a Beverly Hills Cosmetic Surgeon - Robert Kotler, MD ,FACS

Dr. Robert Kotler gets beneath the surface to discuss selecting a cosmetic surgeon, computer imaging, celebrity makeovers and more...Read More

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.