Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up

Announcements

Looking for skin, hair or nail care tips? Considering cosmetic or anti-aging procedures? Get your questions answered here!

Find more info see our Healthy Beauty Center

If your question is not related to cosmetic procedures, anti-aging, or beauty please post it on Skin Problems & Treatments Community.
Includes Expert Content
skin color changes over years
tariq87a posted:
Hi everybody,
Thank you for taking the time to read this. It's an issue that I suffer from and I have been thinking about it a lot over the years.

I am Middle Eastern-Arab, born and raised in Iraq. When I was a child my skin color was extremely fair and light, but I notice with me growing up my skin color changes becoming more dark. I am 26 years now and I kind of feeling very uncomfortable and less confident about this change. I just like the old me and I have no idea why this happened...

I understand the fact that I live in a very hot environment with very shiny sun during the long summer we have here, but why didn't this change my skin color when I was a child or a teenager playing all the time under the sun? Especially now I barely go out under the flaming sun as I work in doors and when I get back from work it would be about sunset.

This change of color did not happen all at once, but very slowly with me growing up. But I could notice the change over the years and also people always comment that I am more tanned now than fair the way I used to be.

Sorry for the long writing, I just tried to put as much info as possible, so you might be able to help me out figure out whether this is normal or not? Also whether or not there is a way to restore my normal skin color?

Thank you so much.
Tareq

tariq87a responded:
Hi guys, especially the experts,
I hope that you have been considering my case. I would very grateful if I hear from you soon.

Thanks for taking my matter seriously.

Tareq

Mary Ruth Buchness, MD responded:
Hi, Tareq,
It is normal for the skin to get darker with time. This is a result of childhood sun exposure. The only way to minimize it is to wear sun block constantly. You may also consider getting a series of chemical peels. Eventually this can lighten the skin. Good luck.

healthcareATM responded:
Skin color changes can be their own condition, or they may be caused by other medical conditions or disorders.

Hopeful2130 replied to Mary Ruth Buchness, MD's response:
Hello, Dr. Buchness,

I lost pigmentation on top left side of my forehead due to a blister. I was wondering if there were any course of action i could take to restore all, if not majority of my color back?

igetadeal responded:
I think you can use obagi products .That solved your color change problem. Try it for get best result.

Featuring Experts

Mohiba K Tareen, MD is a board certified dermatologist who has an innovative practice in Roseville, Minnesota. Tareen Dermatology ( www.TareenDermato...More

Health Insurance in Your State

Learn about plans, benefits, and costs in your state's Marketplace.

From WebMD

Helpful Tips

Exfoliate 2 to 3 times per weekExpert
All skin types can benefit from exfoliation to remove dead skin cells and prevent fine lines and wrinkles. For sensitive skin, use a gentle ... More
Was this Helpful?
35 of 44 found this helpful

Expert Blog

Secrets of a Beverly Hills Cosmetic Surgeon - Robert Kotler, MD ,FACS

Dr. Robert Kotler gets beneath the surface to discuss selecting a cosmetic surgeon, computer imaging, celebrity makeovers and more...Read More

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems to the
Food and Drug Administration

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.