Skip to content


Related Reading:
Will Insurance Cover Plastic Surgery?
5 Foods for More Beautiful Skin

Find more info see our Healthy Beauty Center

If your question is not related to cosmetic procedures, anti-aging, or beauty please post it on Skin Problems & Treatments Community.
Includes Expert Content
Temple Hair Shedding
SweetTQueenofVA posted:

I am a 36yo african american female. I wear my hair unprocessed w/o chemicals. However, in the past few months I did dye my hair. I have noticed recently that my temple hair is thinning. It is not gone but thinning. I have tried Jamaican Black Castor Oil on my temples which seemed to make it worse. Do you have any recommendation on stopping this. I even do very little styling wise to my temples in case that may be the culprit. I just want it to thicken back up! Yikes!!!!
Mohiba K Tareen, MD responded:
There is a condition reported in African American females called frontal fibrosing dermopathy (where hair is lost in a band-like distribution in the front of the scalp) in addition, temple shedding can be seen in another medical disorder called telogen effluvium.

Please insure you are taking a multivitamin with biotin and if the condition persists, schedule an appointment with your dermatologist.
Dr. Mohiba Tareen
Tareen Dermatology, Roseville, Minn
Castle Connoly's America's Top Cosmetic Dermatologists
Adjunct Assistant Professor Univ of MN Dept of Dermatology

Featuring Experts

Mohiba K Tareen, MD is a board certified dermatologist who has an innovative practice in Roseville, Minnesota. Tareen Dermatology ( www.TareenDermato...More

Helpful Tips

Acne breakouts
Just wanted to pass along a tip for clearing acne breakouts. I found a herbal product that is called Acne Clear Results by Terra Therapies. ... More
Was this Helpful?
1 of 1 found this helpful

Expert Blog

Secrets of a Beverly Hills Cosmetic Surgeon - Robert Kotler, MD ,FACS

Dr. Robert Kotler gets beneath the surface to discuss selecting a cosmetic surgeon, computer imaging, celebrity makeovers and more...Read More

Related Drug Reviews

  • Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.