Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up

Announcements

Looking for skin, hair or nail care tips? Considering cosmetic or anti-aging procedures? Get your questions answered here!

Find more info see our Healthy Beauty Center

If your question is not related to cosmetic procedures, anti-aging, or beauty please post it on Skin Problems & Treatments Community.
grey colored line appeared on both thumbnails
malikshahid posted:
Hi,

its been 6 months since my right hand thumbnail started showing a grey or light black line and now i notice on my left thumbnail also started vertical light gray line as well. i can post pictures for a better determination of any of my health problem. Any comments?. i did research and came up with few possible link of Subungual Melanoma or maybe infectious endocarditis heart disease.

atti_editor responded:
Hi malikshahid,

You might want to take a look at this slideshow: What Your Nails Say About Your Health , and see if what you are experiencing is similar to any of the problems pictured (from what you describe I think that would be slide 9). The slideshow says that dark lines below the nail should be seen by a professional as soon as possible as they can sometimes be signs of melanoma. I suggest that you make an appointment to see your doctor or dermatologist to get to the bottom of your nail problems as soon as possible.

Best wishes,
Atti

stellagonzalez responded:
It automatically turns grey or you met with an accident...

malikshahid replied to stellagonzalez's response:
Hi stellagonzalez ,

It was started with gray or light black color band on my right thumbnail about 6 months ago now i notice another same color band on my left thumbnail. NO Trauma to any of my thumbnail

malikshahid replied to atti_editor's response:
pictures are posted here .

Featuring Experts

Mohiba K Tareen, MD is a board certified dermatologist who has an innovative practice in Roseville, Minnesota. Tareen Dermatology ( www.TareenDermato...More

Helpful Tips

Be the first to post a Tip!

Helpful Resources

Be the first to post a Resource!

Expert Blog

Secrets of a Beverly Hills Cosmetic Surgeon - Robert Kotler, MD ,FACS

Dr. Robert Kotler gets beneath the surface to discuss selecting a cosmetic surgeon, computer imaging, celebrity makeovers and more...Read More

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.