Skip to content

Announcements

Looking for skin, hair or nail care tips? Considering cosmetic or anti-aging procedures? Get your questions answered here!

Find more info see our Healthy Beauty Center

If your question is not related to cosmetic procedures, anti-aging, or beauty please post it on Skin Problems & Treatments Community.
Please help/opinions for sebaceous cyst
misscarriea7x posted:
I've had a sebaceous cyst for over 3 months now. It has been draining for 1. I have literally tried everything. pain medicine, warm compresses, antibiotics, etc and nothing works. I am in so much pain with this thing. I was on 300 mg of clyndamacin every 6 hours and after 5 days I got violently sick and couldn't take it anymore. My cyst drains all day; every day with sharp stabbing pains from it. It oozes yellow stuff then yellow, then clotty blood. It wasn't visible at all until about a month ago when the ER doctor decided to mash it without asking or warning me and its now left a bruise that's lasted a month in that area. I can't get any relief.. and I don't see a surgeon for another month and that's just to get it evaluated. I am now getting stabbing intense pains not only at the site but in areas up to 6 inches away too. The area is hot to the touch. It smells so insanely bad. I am losing my appetite... I can't wear a bra (haven't for 3 months and I am a DDD so that is causing more pain... what should I do. I want to go to the ER because I really feel like its infected and it originally ruptured internally for about 48 hours until the doc mashed it so hard it created a hole in my skin and started draining that way. I can barely hold food down... I can't take my metformin cuz I can't eat. Any suggestions? I have done everything the doctor has asked for months on end with no results and it getting worse and I worry about infection. Thanks in advance.

rllmo62 responded:
It has to be excised completely. Medication will not heal it. The drainage keeps it from expanding internally and stablizes any infection, if this is actually present. Stay the course until you can see the surgeon.

atti_editor responded:
Hi misscarriea7x,

Here is some information on sebaceous cysts and information on home treatment options you can use until you see a doctor that you may find helpful. Sebaceous cysts can smell bad if popped, so that is likely nothing to worry about. However, the intense pain that you are experiencing could be due to infection. You can try some of the suggestions in the second link to treat the cyst, but an evaluation by a doctor would be best if you haven't seen one already. Waiting until you see the surgeon in a month could mean that the infection gets worse. Please let us know how you are doing!

Best wishes,
Atti

marshagal responded:
I am so sorry that you are going through this. My mother had this and it was scary. The important thing is to have it fully removed so it doesn't get infected. But you should know that the surgery may not be the end of it. My mother regularly monitors the area since the surgery, because there is a chance the cyst may return. I hope you have found relief!

misscarriea7x replied to marshagal's response:
Thank you all so much! I actually was finally diagnosed with hidradenitis suppurtiva and had a small area excised 2 weeks ago. The area was badly infected and I have about a 6 in open incision, which still looks really bad. The stitches popped and a foul smell appeared earlier this week, along with a slight fever, nausea, and getting sick. I haven't ate in 4 days. My entire armpit is turning red and it literally smells like dog poop. The surgeons say its all normal... But I'm not sure. Thank you all for your replies!

atti_editor replied to misscarriea7x's response:
I'm glad to gear that you got a proper diagnosis, but I am sorry that you are still feeling sick! Do you have a follow-up appointment with the surgeon or your doctor to make sure everything is healing properly? I hope you are feeling better!

Atti

Featuring Experts

Mohiba K Tareen, MD is a board certified dermatologist who has an innovative practice in Roseville, Minnesota. Tareen Dermatology ( www.TareenDermato...More

Helpful Tips

Be the first to post a Tip!

Helpful Resources

Be the first to post a Resource!

Expert Blog

Secrets of a Beverly Hills Cosmetic Surgeon - Robert Kotler, MD ,FACS

Dr. Robert Kotler gets beneath the surface to discuss selecting a cosmetic surgeon, computer imaging, celebrity makeovers and more...Read More

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.