Skip to content

Announcements

Looking for skin, hair or nail care tips? Considering cosmetic or anti-aging procedures? Get your questions answered here!

Find more info see our Healthy Beauty Center

If your question is not related to cosmetic procedures, anti-aging, or beauty please post it on Skin Problems & Treatments Community.
Chin implant surgery gone wrong??
lolita_sanchez posted:
Hello All, I had chin implant surgery done over 5 years ago in order to give me a more pronounced look. The implant was small and more round to suite my face shape as my doctor suggested. I had minimal pain and my recovery was almost immediate. The implant really improved my all round look and face profile. This year after consulting with a few doctors I decided that maybe a less round and maybe more square implant would be more appealing for my face. On August 18th I book my surgery with a new doctor that came highly recommended. After I woke from surgery I looked at the mirror and immediately noticed a huge swelling variation between the right and left side of my chin. The doctor advice while removing the old implant found that I had found an old fracture which he believes occurred while my first implant was put in place. The doctor said that the fracture made the surgery more difficult to set the new implant which caused more swelling to one side more that the other. I returned for my follow up check up last week feeling very uncertain and full of questions, I could see that my right side was still little more prominent than the other side and my right half of my chin and lip area is still numb. As I touch the implant on the left and right side of my chin I could clearly feel the variation. My left side of the implant seemed to blend in to my jaw bone as one. Whereas the right side there is a clear difference of level between the implant and my jaw bone almost as if was cut to short to extend and level off and blend in to the jaw bone. Though you can?t physically see the variation between the implant and my jaw, you can definitely feel it and the area is a little sensitive. The Doctor explained that all my concerns were very common and all of which was due to the excessive swelling I had encountered due to the old fracture but again the Doctor assure me I had nothing to be concerned about. He said it could take up to six months before all the swelling goes away and until then he said that he would not consider other options. Can anyone please help and give me some advice, I?m defiantly sure something is wrong I really feel that my doctor made a mistake and is lying to me about my surgery results. Is there anything I can do about this? Sincerely Lolita :crying: :crying:

Annie_WebMD_Staff responded:
Hi there, Do seek a second opinion if you are not satisfied with the outcome of your plastic surgery or if you think you need revision plastic surgery down the road. Read more about a chin implant by using the WebMD search engine. - Annie

ESBS688 responded:
I know this is an old post, but this helped me a lot. I've been sitting here reading over everything I can, trying to figure out how to describe what's going on with me. "My left side of the implant seemed to blend in to my jaw bone as one. Whereas the right side there is a clear difference of level between the implant and my jaw bone almost as if was cut to short to extend and level off and blend in to the jaw bone. Though you can?t physically see the variation between the implant and my jaw, you can definitely feel it and the area is a little sensitive." When I questioned why one side felt smooth while the other seems lifted, I was told to give it more time. Five months later and I still notice this. It may or may not be apparent to others, but when I tilt my head up under the right lighting I can see the edge of the implant and a rounded look on one side. I don't think the left side blends well at all and I too am concerned with why this occured. It could have just shifted from being bumped or other factors. I'm calling my surgeon and bringing this up again. I don't really have any horrible pain. Just at random times if I'm touching my face frequently. I hope you figured out what was wrong and got that all straightened out. Thanks for posting this because now I know how to go about addressing what's going on with myself!

superm0del responded:
Lolita, I have the same problem as you do, the right side of my face looks great where as the left side of my chin is lower then the right. It looks uneven and like you my doctor keeps saying 'give it more time' I had my surgery in June and it still looks uneven and i'm not sure what to do about it at this point because I don't have the money to re-do the surgery at this time and I don't know if the problem lies with-in my face or with my doctor. Did you have any additional surguries? Did the swelling go down? Or are you just living with it the way it is? It's nice to hear that i'm not the only person who's going or who went through this. Thanks Chris

elena909 responded:
I think you should seek a second opinion. If you feel something isn't right it probably isn't. My friend had a boob job and she told her doctor they were much larger than her body could support. He told her to wait one year because that's when all the swelling would go down. Now she found out he did this to protect himself. Apparently after one year he is no longer accountable for the surgery. So waiting 6 months sounds like your doctor is stalling you and is concerning to me. Please seek the advice of a few more doctors. Even if you have to pay for the consultation at least you're getting documentation to build your case. Good luck to you.

Featuring Experts

Mohiba K Tareen, MD is a board certified dermatologist who has an innovative practice in Roseville, Minnesota. Tareen Dermatology ( www.TareenDermato...More

Helpful Tips

Be the first to post a Tip!

Helpful Resources

Be the first to post a Resource!

Expert Blog

Secrets of a Beverly Hills Cosmetic Surgeon - Robert Kotler, MD ,FACS

Dr. Robert Kotler gets beneath the surface to discuss selecting a cosmetic surgeon, computer imaging, celebrity makeovers and more...Read More

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.