Foundation for Oily Skin
amorcitomio posted:
Can someone recommend a not so expensive foundation I can use that will help control my oily skin? Preferably something OTC? Thanks!!! :smile:
FirstPrevious12NextLast

Annie_WebMD_Staff responded:
Hi there, I've replied to you on the Skin Care board but I will repost my reply here too for you: Revlon Colorstay is a good foundation for oily skin. If you have oily skin you may also want to look at Revlon's makeup primer as well before using any foundation whether it be liquid, cream, or powder. Almay also makes nice foundations. You may also want to look at Rimmel, L'Oreal, Revlon, or Maybelline's mineral powder foundations. - Annie

laytons_aunt responded:
I would suggest going mineral. Mineral powder foundations absorb oils. And is better for your skin than liquids or non-mineral powders. I wouldn't try Neutragena 's Mineral powder. I wasn't pleased with it at all. What I wear is Mary Kay's mineral powder and I love it.

lydmc1 responded:
I have extremely oily skin. Literally an hour after I apply my make it looks like I am already clearly oily. Thus, my make up would not stay on and it would cake up in certain areas....I have tried everything. I tried prescription retina- a micro. I also suffer from a little adult acne. Not severe though. I have tried different primers (mac, revlon, smash box oil control primer) Those helped a little, but not much. Finally I think I have found something that works. I use Almay clear skin foundation. (the name may be off a little I don't have it in front of me) It contains salicylic acid (which helps control oil) After I put that on, I use Mac Studio fix powder. I apply it with a brush so it is not that thick. Now the mac is not hypo alegenic, so if you have super sensetive skin, you may get a few break outs. But, it has not caused too many for me. It has talc and mica in it. Talc helps to absorb oils and mica is a light reflective mineral. These two products have proved to be very effective in controlling oil. I am not a doctor, so I don't know if my reasoning is medically proven, however, I do know it has helped me. I still get a little oil, but I use (toilet seat covers) to blot the oil from my skin. I hope this helps!

honghamt responded:
I definitely try Revlon Colorstay as my foundation. Because my skin is really oily, it makes me sick everytime I make-up, hu hu. I don't know whether we have any product that reduce the oily thing so that it'll not make my skin look shiny. Can anyone please helppppp?? Thanks in advance and thanks for your post.

Annie_WebMD_Staff responded:
Hi there, A makeup primer may help with the oiliness. Revlon makes one and you may want to give that a try under your foundation. Also blotting sheets made by various companies can also help absorb oil without disturbing your makeup. Clean and Clear makes one that is available at the drugstore. - Annie

julsberg1723 responded:
I have super super oily skin. Problem solved with Mary Kay Oil control lotion applied first. This lotion really controlls the oily breakout that happens during the day. Then I use the Mary Kay medium coverage foundation, which is for combo/oily skin. I then sweep a light coverage of mineral powder foundation -- also Mary Kay's product. Hope this helps! I no longer look shiny/oily by mid-day. I love it! Let me know if you need more info!

Banjos responded:
Try a mineral powder makeup but use a smooth sponge puff..not a brush as it is just too messy. I find using a thin layer of drug store aloe vera gel before applying the powder really makes for a smooth application. Make sure the gel is completely dry or it will pill. Bare Escentuals is way too shiny and overpriced; try L'Oreal's mineral make up. Again, ditch the brush that comes with it.

debmavonlady responded:
Hello amorcitomio, All the suggestions that everyone has given you so far are good ones, however, you may need to consider your whole skin care regimen. Using an Oil Control Foundation alone may not solve your oily skin issue. Finding a cleanser that will deep clean & reduce pore size is a beginning. I would recommend, AVON?s Clearskin Professional Deep Pore Cleansing Scrub. It is Dermatologist Endorsed & has an Oil Control System. Average cost is $9 - $12 (4.2fl oz). Then follow up with AVON?s Clearskin Professional Daily Correcting Lotion. This will further minimize pore size and control surface oil. Approx. cost is $9-$16(2 fl. oz). Since I don?t know how old you are & if you are using anti-aging products, please be careful in what you use. Products w/lanolin, Vitamin E, Glycerin, can make your skin appear oilier. For a foundation recommendation, I have two; most Mineral Foundations are good, as long as they are applied lightly. AVON?s Smooth Mineral Foundation my first recommendation, $7 - $11 for a .20 oz. jar. You also may want to consider a cream to powder foundation. Most are much lighter and have a ?matte? finish. You may want to try Beyond Color Skin Smoothing Compact Foundation. Average cost is $9-$12. All of the products can be found at: www.youravon.com/dmcginn . If you decide to try any of these products, please use the FREE Shipping Coupon Code: FSWER. I hope you will consider these suggestions. I wish you luck! :smile: Deb

lindygirl1960 responded:
I have a suggestion to add to the ones already made for foundations. I have really oily skin too, or rather, I did. What has helped my skin is using extra virgin olive oil to clean my skin with. At night I take my make-up off with EVOO and a tissue, then put more oil on my face and use a clean wash cloth wrung out in hot water to clean it off. I follow that with a serum. The next morning I use a cotton round wrung out in hot water with a little EVOO on it to clean my face before heading into the shower. I always use sunblock and I, like others who have answered here, have found that a primer and a mineral powder foundation works very well. I still use blotting papers once in a while but I must admit that until I changed the way I clean my facial skin I had loads of problems with make-up just 'disappearing'. Google 'oil cleansing method' for more info. Hope this helps you. It sure helped me.

airforcewife74 responded:
I have oily skin and pale but also aging I'm 35. I have freckles too! I need help finding a good skin care routine from washing my face to wrinkle prevention and treatment to makeup! I use the pur mineral makeup and neutrogena face wash and I seem to still breakout! Im scared to use sunscreen Because I think I break out from it. please help Airforcewife74

Sherbobaz responded:
I have gotten the best result from using the Neutrogena Acne Stress Control for cleaning followed by the Neutrogena Skinclearing Liquid makeup.

1wayne7 responded:
MAXXAM out of Baca Raton, FL makes a product called 'ALIVE'. It is a liquid bacterial enzyme rinse originally aimed as an after shampoo clearing agent. My scalp and face is so oily that standard shampooing/washing does not work effectively. I experimented by using the product as a stand alone 'shampoo' by massaging in and immediately toweling off dry..it was so effective that now I rarely shampoo in the traditional manner..only if I get into debris from gardening, etc. Next I started it using it on my face..primarily forehead, temples nose, cheeks. The oil removal is amazing!! All that being said, I have tried some pharmaceuticals, otc and otherwise to no avail...I am not aware of a way of safely and conveniently slowing down oil production..so I manage it with a twice a day rinse and towel-off. You then can experiment with which cosmetics work best for you in an 8-12 hour time frame if you need a twice a day oil removal. Quite frankly I cannot imagine the hocus pocus of adding oil, then rinse with oil based products, etc.etc. ALIVE will not cause your skin to dry-out. ALIVE is otc'd at Hair Club for Men/Women(HCM), perhaps elsewhere. Good luck to you...!!

Clayfishbone responded:
I have tried all kinds of foundations (from Asian to US brands) but the only foundation that really worked for my very oily and acne prone skin is Jane Iredale's products. Try their mineral Dream Tint and loose powders for touch ups. Jane Iredale's products are heaven sent!! :grin:

illergin responded:
I have yet to find a foundation or makeup that doesnt end up oily but I love Clean and Clear Oil Absorbing sheets. Ive been using them for 9 years now and love them!