Skip to content

Announcements

Looking for skin, hair or nail care tips? Considering cosmetic or anti-aging procedures? Get your questions answered here!

Find more info see our Healthy Beauty Center

If your question is not related to cosmetic procedures, anti-aging, or beauty please post it on Skin Problems & Treatments Community.
Includes Expert Content
bags/dark circles under eyes
All_is_One posted:
So how can you diminish the look of bags and/or dark circles under the eyes? I consider myself healthy. I'm 23, I eat a diet mostly of whole grains/beans, fruits/veggies, nuts, etc. I am on third shift work but I do not change over to first shift on my days off. I get 7-8 hours of sleep every night.

One thing I have read is that rubbing your eyes breaks the cappillaries under the eyes, causing the discoloration.

Any help would be appreciated!

David A Colbert, MD responded:
Hi All_is_One,

Undereye bags-dark circles.

These have many causes including genetic, allergies, lack of sleep, stress, dehydration and sometimes they are just part of a person's normal facial features. Always see a dermatologist to rule out underlying allergies or other medical conditions that might contribute or worsen undereye circles.

Rubbing this fragile skin is not a a good idea and can lead to more irritation.

If the circles are due to increased pigmentation then there are lasers that sometimes help. Most creams do not help the situation. If there is a loss of volume under the eyes then a dermatologist could possibly fill in the volume loss with fat transfer or fillers. Whatever the cause a visit to your doctor will be instructive and I urge you to do so.

SkinCare1221 responded:
I use a cream called Teamine, it works great for me!
http://www.epinions.com/review/Revision_Teamine_Eye_Complex/content_192954732164

I also use Arbonne products and they work great too!
They are both a little expensive but well worth it, you may be able to get a hand full of samples from your determologist, thats how I get it, and its so good you only need a very little bit, the sample pack lasts over a month!

java11 responded:
I have the same problem, so I googledit and found 2 really great sites with some fantastic info (that I'm definitely going to try!!).
Good luck. Here's the 2 sites I found:

http://www.darkcirclesgone.com/homeremedies.html

http://www.simplehealthtips.com/beauty-tips/dark-circles-eyes.html

CharlotteBoomerBrief responded:
I've been using Hylexin and it seems to help. I wrote about my experience on my blog www.boomerbrief.com . I hope you find the information helpful.

larselau responded:
I had terrible bags and circles until I discovered that my 8 hours of sleep weren't good sleep. I complained of fatigue to my doctor, who scheduled a sleep study. I thought I was sleeping well. They diagnosed sleep apnea and I now use a CPAP machine. Within a couple weeks of using the machine, my fatigue was gone and so were the bags and circles. This may not be your problem, but you never know.

elisamatt responded:
I have had dark circles under my eyes since childhood. They are probably due to allergies, but treatment for my allergies didn't change the dark patches at all.

As I am getting older, I have developed some bags that come and go--these are definitely related to stress and sleep.

Don't go to a cosmetic dermatologist about these though--I did and she injected some white filler that was supposed to lighten the dark circles. Well, it may have, but it didn't stay under my eyes. It was also only supposed to last 15 months, and it has been 3 years and I can still see them. Unfortunately, the patches migrated down to either side of my nose. So I have dark circles and white patches (which fortunately can be covered with make-up) on my nose. Great.

I complained, of course, but she was a real bitch about it and said that I had signed a release that covered this occurrence. So I reported her to Angie's List and the Medical Board.

I think she is still operating and raking in money hand over fist.

Let the buyer beware. Now I'd go to an acupuncturist who knows something about facial rejuvenation--a lot can be done with those methods. Acupuncturists, of which I am now one, as well as an MD, take into account the health of the whole person. I hadn't done acupuncture training at the time that this travesty happened. Well, live and learn.

Reputable plastic surgeons can also be helpful especially with the bags. But after my experience--it's acupuncture, only, and I can do it on myself!

Billyones responded:
Rubbing your eyes is not a good thing. Many years ago, there was an eye cream,: Lily DaShey eye cream...bought it at Maison Blanche in New Orleans, that stuff would suck up a bag in an hour. How I wish it could be found today. I think it was reformulated due to a foolish complaintcomplaint. Anyone know of it ?? Lily DaShey (sp) was a famous designer in the 1950's.

jin6262 responded:
I have read most of the replies about having dark circles under the eyes with alot of "bagging" and heard that using Preparition H would reduce this swelling under the eyes but that did not turn out to be adventageus to me since I do not use make-up in any form nor can I afford to see the Cr's listed here. Does anyone know of a way to get these "pouched" and dark circles that include a home remedy. The dark circles are a genetic problem and I have heard that there is no remedy in a case such as mine/ jin58585

An_208071 responded:
Health enthusiasts have said for years that a diet high in antioxidants, one that avoids food allergies, can go a long way toward eliminating the dark circles. That means organic vegies, no processed food, and above all, eliminating sugar and the high fructose corn syrup in most processed/prepared foods. A healthy sweetener is stevia. Agave is hype, IMHO. No smoking, clearly, and a good night's sleep are essential. And the minimize bags, drop the weight.

JOYCEHARDNEY replied to David A Colbert, MD's response:
GETTING RID OF MY BAGS IS NOT SO SERIOUS THAT I NEED INJECTIONS YET SO I WILL KEEP DOING WHAT I ALWAYS DO, WASH LOTION AND GO.

MALTIECALLIE replied to java11's response:
need some information re dark circles under eyes

clairejohn responded:
If the swelling under your eyes is due to hereditary fat pads, you probably have them all the time (not just during allergy season or when you wake up in the morning). In that case, the fat can be dissolved with phosphatidylcholine injections (instead of extracting it through surgery), says Cheryl M. Burgess, MD, medical director at the Center for Dermatology and Dermatologic Surgery in Washington, D.C. Do allergies bring on your puffiness? Try an antihistamine to reduce inflammation. Inadequate lymphatic drainage can also cause puffiness, most noticeable when you wake up, says Burgess. Try sleeping with your head elevated to discourage fluid pooling under your eyes. Never use a concealer lighter than your skin tone on undereye bags; you'll accentuate them, says Renato Almeida, makeup artist for Shiseido. Instead, try a concealer as close as possible to your skin tone, and dab a little highlighter on the inner corners of your eyes to brighten them and draw attention to your irises rather than your puffiness.

http://www.thebeautyinsiders.com/how-to-get-rid-of-eye-bags.html

Featuring Experts

Mohiba K Tareen, MD is a board certified dermatologist who has an innovative practice in Roseville, Minnesota. Tareen Dermatology ( www.TareenDermato...More

Helpful Tips

Be the first to post a Tip!

Helpful Resources

Be the first to post a Resource!

Expert Blog

Secrets of a Beverly Hills Cosmetic Surgeon - Robert Kotler, MD ,FACS

Dr. Robert Kotler gets beneath the surface to discuss selecting a cosmetic surgeon, computer imaging, celebrity makeovers and more...Read More

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.