Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up

Announcements

Looking for skin, hair or nail care tips? Considering cosmetic or anti-aging procedures? Get your questions answered here!

Find more info see our Healthy Beauty Center

If your question is not related to cosmetic procedures, anti-aging, or beauty please post it on Skin Problems & Treatments Community.
Includes Expert Content
OTC-Acne Treatments
generalhospitalfan1984 posted:
Which over-the-counter acne treatments contain both salicylic acid and benzoyl peroxide? Because I one I currently own only salicylic acid.

Annie_WebMD_Staff responded:
Hi generalhospitalfan 1984,

OTC (over the counter) salicylic acid products come in a maximum of 2% strength and OTC benzoyl peroxide comes in a maximum strength of up to 10%.

I don't recall seeing any product at the drugstore that contain both ingredients in one product. You can use both products though.

What kind of salicylic acid product are you using on your face? How would you describe your acne?

- Annie

generalhospitalfan1984 replied to Annie_WebMD_Staff's response:
I'm currently using Clean & Clear Blackhead Clearing Scrub on my face. Mostly blackheads.

generalhospitalfan1984 replied to generalhospitalfan1984's response:
My face is also a little more oily then usual.

Annie_WebMD_Staff replied to generalhospitalfan1984's response:
Hi General hospitalfan1984,

A salicylic acid cleanser would be washed off pretty quickly so if you are looking for a topical product to try there are plenty of 2% salicylic acid toners on the market and Clean and Clear does make some of them.

Clean and Clear makes a 5% and a 10% benzoyl peroxide but if you haven't used these OTC products before you may want to look at a 2.5% benzoyl peroxide acne product instead and then move up to the stronger ones.

I would look at the acne skin care aisle of the drugstore to see what products you want to try. You can try a 2% salicylic acid toner on your face and once that's dry then put on the benzoyl peroxide product. Salicylic acid is an exfoliant and the benzoyl peroxide is a disinfectant and can help to exfoliate the skin surface too. Be sure to use a good sunscreen when you use OTC acne meds as your face can be more prone to the sun when you are exfoliating your skin.

If OTC acne medications don't help to clear up your skin though please see a doctor for help.

- Annie

Susan Evans, MD replied to Susan Evans, MD's response:
On the previous post I Would lwant to clarify.Benzoyl Peroxide may be beneficial for certain skin types.When Dealing with complex Acne problems, it is critical that you go with the treatment regimen that is best suited for your skin. You may suffer from combination skin ,oily, dry or you may have a hormonal influence on your acne breakout.Your first step should start with controlling the inflammation,reducing oil production(which will help relive pores from clogging) and minimizing the surface bacteria

generalhospitalfan1984 replied to Annie_WebMD_Staff's response:
Thanks for the help.

generalhospitalfan1984 replied to Susan Evans, MD's response:
Thanks for all the help.

el1sav replied to Susan Evans, MD's response:
How would you suggest executing the first step in controlling inflammation, reducing oil production and minimizing the surface bacteria? I am presently taking Doryx and applying Metrogel nightly but I still have very oily skin with large pores that often get clogged, forming black heads. I also have a real problem with cysts. Every time I go to the doctor to request a treatment, they prescribe an oral and a topical but no cleaning regimen. When asked, they just tell me to use Purpose or Cetaphil and no toners. None of this is helping and I am extremely frustrated! Please let me know what to use and where to get it to execute the "first step" and clear my skin.

Featuring Experts

Mohiba K Tareen, MD is a board certified dermatologist who has an innovative practice in Roseville, Minnesota. Tareen Dermatology ( www.TareenDermato...More

Helpful Tips

Exfoliate 2 to 3 times per weekExpert
All skin types can benefit from exfoliation to remove dead skin cells and prevent fine lines and wrinkles. For sensitive skin, use a gentle ... More
Was this Helpful?
35 of 44 found this helpful

Expert Blog

Secrets of a Beverly Hills Cosmetic Surgeon - Robert Kotler, MD ,FACS

Dr. Robert Kotler gets beneath the surface to discuss selecting a cosmetic surgeon, computer imaging, celebrity makeovers and more...Read More

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.