Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up

Announcements

Looking for skin, hair or nail care tips? Considering cosmetic or anti-aging procedures? Get your questions answered here!

Find more info see our Healthy Beauty Center

If your question is not related to cosmetic procedures, anti-aging, or beauty please post it on Skin Problems & Treatments Community.
Tips to Ward off Dry Winter Skin
Susan Evans, MD posted:
Are you suffering from dry winter skin? With a few simple steps you can try to alleviate this problem. During the fall and winter seasons, there is a decrease of humidity in the atmosphere. This decrease in humidity is usually what causes the skin on our bodies to become dry and rough. The first step you can take toward healthy skin is to look at the body wash or bar you use in the shower. Avoid shower gels in the winter, as they can be drying to your skin. A body wash or bar that contains shea butter or jojoba oil will help to hydrate and nourish your skin while you are in the shower.
Shea butter is extracted from the nuts found on the Shea-Karite tree. This tree can only be found growing in the tropics of Africa . Shea butter nourishes the skin with Vitamins A and E; and it also penetrates and moisturizes the skin without clogging pores.
Jojoba oil comes from the seed of the jojoba tree (simmondsia chinensis). The Jojoba tree is a perennial shrub that can be found in northwestern Mexico , and parts of Arizona and California . This oil is actually a wax ester that is very similar to the oil or sebum our skin produces naturally. Jojoba oil can help to balance the oil in your skin and can also provide moisture all day.
Taking lukewarm showers instead of hot showers can also ward off dry skin. If you do not want to give up taking a hot shower, try to cut your shower time down. Long hot showers tend to draw out the natural moisturizers in your skin. Avoiding long soaks in the hot tub is also a good idea because the chemicals and the hot water can dry out your skin. After you shower, you should apply a moisturizer to replenish your skin. You can apply baby oil to your skin before drying off; this is one of the best ways for moisture to penetrate your skin. After you dry off, try using jojoba oil, shea butter, or cocoa butter; they work even better if they contain Vitamin A and E.
Exfoliate the skin on your body once a week. Try to find a salt or sugar based scrub. While you are in the shower, apply the scrub all over your body. Next rinse the scrub off. This should help slough away any dry skin you have. Always follow up with a moisturizer after exfoliating your skin.
If you live in an area that has a dry atmosphere, such as the desert, a humidifier is a good investment for your home. The heat from the furnace can draw out the natural moisture and humidity in the air. A humidifier can help to add moisture back into the air in your home and also assist in warding off dry skin.
A well balanced diet is also an important step for healthy skin. Be sure to eat plenty of fresh fruits and vegetables, especially green vegetables. These foods will help to naturally nourish your skin. Including fish in your diet is also great for your skin because it is a natural source of omega fatty acids. The Fatty acids can help to moisturize dry and scaly skin from the inside out. One last tip: limit your caffeine intake because it can also dehydrate the skin.

Best,
Susan Evans, MD

965km responded:
I have been itching uncontrollably (mostly at night) on my back, my stomach, my chest, my arms, my neck and my shins for about a month now and it is driving me INSANE and has now caused painful blotchy rashes everywhere! I also have eczema which adds to my problem. I was tested for food allergies and they found nothing.

I have been using my doctor's advice with no relief for the last three weeks: no hot tub, use Dreft or Ivory or any other laundry soap (not detergent), do not use Bounce dryer sheets, try not to "overuse" cortisone creams/ointments (not sure what overuse means - I was using it 2xs/day - only trying to use 2-3xs/week now since they said it burnt my skin). I've been following this advice over three weeks and nothing is helping. The doctor also said I could take 2 Benedryl before bed since I mostly scratch at night and I did that for 2 weeks and did not notice a difference.

Any lotions or vitamins I can try? Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Thank You!

Featuring Experts

Mohiba K Tareen, MD is a board certified dermatologist who has an innovative practice in Roseville, Minnesota. Tareen Dermatology ( www.TareenDermato...More

Helpful Tips

Don't shave your legs before a pedicure!Expert
Shaving the legs before going for a pedicure has been linked to an increase risk of infection from pedicure footbaths. This is because the ... More
Was this Helpful?
10 of 13 found this helpful

Expert Blog

Secrets of a Beverly Hills Cosmetic Surgeon - Robert Kotler, MD ,FACS

Dr. Robert Kotler gets beneath the surface to discuss selecting a cosmetic surgeon, computer imaging, celebrity makeovers and more...Read More

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems to the
Food and Drug Administration

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.