Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up

Announcements

Looking for skin, hair or nail care tips? Considering cosmetic or anti-aging procedures? Get your questions answered here!

Find more info see our Healthy Beauty Center

If your question is not related to cosmetic procedures, anti-aging, or beauty please post it on Skin Problems & Treatments Community.
Please help, it's been a year!!
An_208159 posted:
The skin on my face, around my mouth, is red, irritated, dry, and flaky, and the only thing I have used is Vaseline, but it doesn't seem to help. I wash my face once a day (morning), and I use toner everyday. After I was my face, my skin (same area) gets really dry until I put moisturizer on (ponds), but it still stays red and after it wears off, it begins to bother me again. Please help figure out what I need to do!!!

Take the Poll

What kind of moisturizer or cleanser should I use?
  • Is it my cleanser?
  • Is it the toner?
vote
View Poll Results

CaseyJWeave responded:
Maybe you should try neosporin
.... awhile ago i had a similar problem, but it was like little cuts on the sides of my mouth where my lips me at the corners, it made it all red and irritated on my face too...and when i asked the doctor they said to put neosporin on it and it healed within two days ... good luck!

Annie_WebMD_Staff responded:
Hi Anon_146830,

You may want to search through this board and the Skin Problems and Treatments Community board . Also try using the Symptom Checker tool and use the WebMD search engine with perioral dermatitis to see if those articles are helpful to you.

Please realize that you can't be diagnosed over the internet so please visit your doctor for help.

- Annie

geni55 responded:
This could also be what is known as contact dermatitis.
You might try changing toothpaste or toners. I found that I was allergic to my base makeup. It was the same line I had been wearing for years, just a slightly different formula.

jordes responded:
I feel soooo sorry for you, as I have the same thing, so I know what u r going thru. I have had it for at least 3 years and tried ev erything, from lotion, cream, scripts, over the counter. It has left deep lines down my jowels, I will now have to see a cosmetic surgeon. I finally found that zinc cream works wonders(penetan). Use it nitely, I even used it in the morning very sparingly when I started. It is pretty much under control, but I still use it when I get that feeling of it acting up. Hope that helps, Bon

Sunshinereggae responded:
I had this issue a few years ago. I changed everything in my routine, even toothpaste, but nothing helped. Finally I went to see a dermatologist who took just one look and told me to get fluoride free toothpaste. Apparently I was sensitive/allergic to fluoride. I haven't had this problem ever since.

I'm not sure if this is the culprit in your case but it is worth a try. I use Tom's Maine but there are many other fluoride free toothpastes out there. Good luck!

Corkie896 responded:
Sounds like perioral dermatitis. I had the same problem a couple of years ago. Once I saw my dermatologist, he prescibed some topical medication as well as anitbiotics for a period of time. If you have this condition, changing cleansers, etc. won't help. It's very uncomfortable but it can be managed.
See a good dermatologist.
Good luck!

paleolover responded:
I had a problem similar to what you're describing. My doc gave me a round of antibiotics and it cleared up completely.

An_208160 responded:
First off, you need to get something (cleanser and toner) that works for your skin type, seems like it's dry, therefore go find products that moisturize but are also oil free.

good luck!

Louisejb responded:
Hello :-)
I had a very similar problem to the one you're describing. I tried changing toothpaste, face creams, basically everything I used. When I would brush my teeth the skin around my mouth and chin became very irritated and itchy aswell as flaky and red.
After numerous trials to cut out various different factors, I eventually came to the conclusion that it was caused by using tap water. The water where I live is loaded with chlorine and other chemicals, the smell when I run the tap is quite strong at times. I was also having joint problems, which was strange because I'm fit,a healthy eater, not overweight. I stopped drinking tap water, not even having it from the tap to make a cup of tea or coffee. I noticed a massive difference after about two weeks with my skin and about 1 month with my joints. That was 3 years ago and I've had very few problems since then. There's lots of information about tap water and I would suggest reading about it. Even if you just replace 50% with bottled water it may help.
Your problem may be related to what you're consuming, whether its tap water, a certain food you eat regularly. I visited my GP and he was useless with regard to advice, but perhaps if you went to a dermatologist you could be guided in the right direction. Good luck, I know how distressing it is and I hope you get it sorted out.

jingale responded:
i have the same thing butits more acne and i used it clear and clean syslic acid treatment an di think its not working any more could you help me out

Featuring Experts

Mohiba K Tareen, MD is a board certified dermatologist who has an innovative practice in Roseville, Minnesota. Tareen Dermatology ( www.TareenDermato...More

Health Insurance in Your State

Learn about plans, benefits, and costs in your state's Marketplace.

From WebMD

Helpful Tips

Exfoliate 2 to 3 times per weekExpert
All skin types can benefit from exfoliation to remove dead skin cells and prevent fine lines and wrinkles. For sensitive skin, use a gentle ... More
Was this Helpful?
35 of 44 found this helpful

Expert Blog

Secrets of a Beverly Hills Cosmetic Surgeon - Robert Kotler, MD ,FACS

Dr. Robert Kotler gets beneath the surface to discuss selecting a cosmetic surgeon, computer imaging, celebrity makeovers and more...Read More

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems to the
Food and Drug Administration

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.