Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up
Includes Expert Content
blister on my elbow
rivera90 posted:
Hi there, I have a question. During this week a little blister appeared on my elbow. After noticing it, I thought it was maybe due to friction caused by me leaning my elbow against my desk continously. Last night I pinched the blister hoping to find a watery substance but my finding was way different. First a little blood came out, then a little bit of pus came out, then this black-ish substance came out with very fine hair in it, and then more blood until it drained totally. I was really scared, I mean what kind of blister contains a little bit of hair in it? What do you think it is? Should I make an appointment with a dermatologist? Unfortunately I didn't kept that substance, I threw it into the garbage.

Susan Evans, MD responded:
Dear rivera90,

From time to time we can have some kind of foreign body that gets trapped underneath our skin. This could even be something like an ingrown hair.

It is called a "foreign body" because your body knows that it should not be there. As such, your body will react to it as an enemy and send white cells there to destroy it, hence the pus.

If you have no other symptoms, no worsening of symptoms, no further redness or irritation at the site, and no more bumps, you can reasonably expect that the condition is self-limiting and is unlikely to recur.

If, however, you have more such lesions, have increasing pain, swelling, or redness in the area you may want to have a doctor look at it and make a direct evaluation.

I hope this helps.

Best,

Dr. Evans

starlight_66 replied to Susan Evans, MD's response:
I had, have the same sore on my left elbow. No hair or black stuff, but blood. The sore is about the size of a pencil led, but there is dry patch of skin completely around it about the size of a dime. This is the 3rd time and I do not lean on this elbow, on any tables or anything. It does hurt to touch as well, any idea?
Thank you
sincerely

Featuring Experts

Mohiba K Tareen, MD is a board certified dermatologist who has an innovative practice in Roseville, Minnesota. Tareen Dermatology ( www.TareenDermato...More

Helpful Tips

Eczema - Part IExpert
Dear Readers, Of all the skin conditions I see, the most frustrating for both me and my patients has to be eczema. The most common form ... More
Was this Helpful?
22 of 29 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.