Skip to content


    Exciting News for WebMD Members!

    We've been busy behind the scenes building new message boards for you. You'll have new and easier ways to find messages, connect with others, and share your stories.

    And, this will all be available on your smartphone or other mobile device!

    What Do You Need to Do?

    The message board you're used to will be closing in the coming weeks. While many of your boards will be making the move to our new home, your posts will not. Want to keep a discussion going? Save posts you want to continue (this includes your member profile story), so that you can re-post them in the new message boards.

    Keep an eye here and on your email inbox, we'll be back in touch soon to give you all the information you need!

    Yours in health,
    WebMD Message Boards Management

    Includes Expert Content
    Painful lump above right eye, but below eyebrow. Is it a cyst, stye, chalazion, acne?
    An_207088 posted:

    Quick Summary of Symptoms:
    1) Lump mid-way between eyelid and eyebrow, under the skin.
    2) Has swollen to the point of almost completely shutting my right eye.
    3) Painful and burning sensation where the lump is located.
    4) Not on eyelid or eye rim
    5) Seeking solution to reduce the swelling as soon as possible and wondering what lump is.

    I am in need of some guidance about what type of lump I have and how to treat the swelling quickly, I have very important meeting/event this Friday...but my vision is partially blocked. I talked to my doctor about it today and he suggested that it could be a stye or chalazion; and advised to put a hot compress on it. I'm not sure that it is a stye of chalazion, because it is not on the eyelid itself or the rim of the eyelid and is mid-way between my eye lid and my eye brow. I am looking for some way to bring the swelling down as fast as possible. Would OTC antibiotic cream help? Do they have any OTC antibiotic/anti-swelling/redness reduction medication specifically for the area just above the eye?

    It started out as a painful lump under the skin with a little redness. I tried to break it and a very small white hard substance came out followed by a good amount of blood. This morning I woke up and it was so swollen it is forcing my right eye almost shut.

    I'm open to any legitimate and reasonable suggestions. Thanks
    Susan Evans, MD responded:
    Dear Anon 27499,

    Did your doctor actually see you to efvaluate you or did you call in for advice?

    The fact that your eye is nearly swollen shut indicates that your condition is worsening. Either you are having a severe reaction or are suffering from inflammation that needs to be addressed.

    Please get in to see your doctor for a more in-depth evaluation.


    Dr. Evans
    embee17 responded:
    Hi Annon, I am experiencing the same now. What did the doctor tell you to do? Kindly share please. Thanks!
    Susan Evans, MD replied to embee17's response:
    Dear embee17,

    Anything that indicates swelling around the eye should be seen by your PCP. Please make an appointment for an evaluation.


    Dr. Evans
    angels28504 replied to Susan Evans, MD's response:
    I also have a lump above my eye and into my eyebrow. One doctor told me it was a cyst and it could be there for 10 or 12 years. Every so often it inflames out and drains thru my eye. My pcp said there is something there but she doesn't know what. When it inflames, it is painful and is sensitive to sunlight. By the time I get an appointment, it has gone down again. This thing has been bothering me for 10 years, the only thing is it no longer drains into my eye. But it is painful.

    Featuring Experts

    Mohiba K Tareen, MD is a board certified dermatologist who has an innovative practice in Roseville, Minnesota. Tareen Dermatology ( www.TareenDermato...More

    Helpful Tips

    Treatment for StingsExpert
    Keep a container of meat tenderizer by the kitchen sink. If someone gets stung, make a quick paste by putting some of the meat tenderizer ... More
    Was this Helpful?
    5 of 7 found this helpful

    Related Drug Reviews

    • Drug Name User Reviews

    Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

    FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.