Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up
Includes Expert Content
Insatiable itching... help!
An_207179 posted:
I have had horrible itching for months now, at first I thought it was an allergic reaction to something I changed, possibly laundry detergent or bar soaps. I changed all those back but it didn't help. I even thought it might be the winter weather, but it's summer now and no change (dry skin) Itching creams help, but most of the time I have to apply it to my entire lower body to make the itching stop. I recently moved from Seattle WA to Long Beach CA, and even with a different climate I am still itching.

It is chronic all day, usually not bad at all in the morning, but progresses throughout the day. My arms and stomach will itch at work, and then when I get home it spreads to other areas, mostly when I am in bed. Starting on my lower legs, it moves up to my thighs and then sometimes onto my buttocks an lower back. There are no rashes or bug bites at all... no signs of why this is happening. It isn't as bad as it used to be but I still end up with scabs from scratching in one place too long. (only on my legs) I usually end up scratching my legs for a half hour before I can finally go to sleep. Please help!

needtolearnthisstuff responded:
You might want to make an appointment with a very good Dermatologist. It sounds like it might be Prurigo Nodularis? Is it worse at night? I know that you said you itch before going to bed. I have this condition and it made me CRAZY for 7 years. Try sitting in the sun. P. N. does get worse as the day goes by. It can wake you up at night. It is related to nerves, that would explain why it is better in the morning. Hope you get it figured out. Good Luck!!

Susan Evans, MD responded:
Dear anon 39288,

Have you sought a medical evaluation yet? Because this is a significant change from normal for you, I would advise that you seek a doctor's opinion to make sure there is nothing else going on. Your doctor may wish to do a thorough physical and bloodwork to establish a baseline health profile. It would be a good idea to do this as you seek answers to your itching problem.

Best,

Dr. Evans

CPHILL12 responded:
I have the same itching. All day and the same at night. But it starts at my feet. I went to the Dr. and he sent me to an allergy Dr. We did extensive testing and he found nothing. I have been living with this for 4 years now!!!! I have changed detergent. Changed bedding. Purchased a new bed. Now the symptoms are getting worse - now they wake me up at night. Plus my hands are starting to itch. They are so bad that the fingers swell from the scratching. The Dr just gives me a shot and sends me home!!!! I take 2 showers a day and apply lots of lotion. After the shower I usually feel better. I can sleep after taking a shower. I, like you, thought w/ warmer weather the symptoms would go away and things would be better, but they have gotten worse. I have change my life around to work w/ the itching. At least I know that what is going on is real.

Featuring Experts

Mohiba K Tareen, MD is a board certified dermatologist who has an innovative practice in Roseville, Minnesota. Tareen Dermatology ( www.TareenDermato...More

Helpful Tips

Treatment for StingsExpert
Keep a container of meat tenderizer by the kitchen sink. If someone gets stung, make a quick paste by putting some of the meat tenderizer ... More
Was this Helpful?
4 of 6 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.