Skip to content
Polymorphous Light Eruption
ubettertrademein posted:
I've always been really sensitve to the sun and burn really easily, but in the last couple of years I've started to get red bumps/red skin rash anywhere my skin was exposed to the sun after quite a while of being in the sun or if I went tanning, (I've stopped tanning now) so doing a little research it sounds like I have this PMLE, a lot of the pictures I have seen and the symptoms they talk about look and sound a lot like what I have been getting. I've been reading that a specific type of sunscreen should be used if you have this because any regular sunscreen won't work and I can attest to that because I was out all weekend in the sun and put on gobs and gobs of 50 SPF sunscreen every few hours and I still got the bumps. Does anyone know of any good brands to use? Also, does anyone else have this? What do you do to prevent it? Any tips or advice would be extremely appreciated!!!

Thanks! Tera

ubettertrademein responded:
Also I forgot to mention that my ankles swell up too, I didn't seem to find anything related to sun exposure for it... It didn't happen when I was tanning in a tanning bed but it did happen one other time when we stayed out on the river one weekend several years ago, and I got the bumps that time too, just like last weekend. Has anyone heard of this happening or know of what else it might be related to?

Annie_WebMD_Staff responded:
Hi there,

Please realize that this board does not have a WebMD health professional to answer community members' questions. Have you seen a dermatologist for help with your skin issues? It's not possible for anyone to be diagnosed over the internet. You need to see a doctor in person in order to receive a diagnosis.

If you are allergic to sun exposure then a sunscreen may not be enough to protect your skin. Sunscreens basically block only a percentage of UVB rays - the SPF number only applies to the UVB or burning rays of the sun. The amount of blockage of UVA and UVC rays isn't determined by the SPF number. UVA rays can also go through glass windows such as those in an automobile or home.

You may want to look for a broad spectrum sunscreen that blocks UVA and UVB rays and also look for one higher than an SPF 50.

I would also recommend looking for protective clothing to wear while outside including a hat and sunglasses.

- Annie

ubettertrademein responded:
Oh I know I can't be diagnosed on here, but my problem is, is whenever it happens, the rash and swelling never lasts long enough to be able to go in to the doctor to show them. I was just hoping there were some other people on here that had the same kind of thing and what kinds of things they do to prevent it... And I usually do try to cover myself up, but when it is 95 degrees and humid as heck, and I am sweating in the shade, the last thing I want to do is cover up. And believe me I know about getting sun through windows, I've been burnt numerous times in a car! LOL Oh well, just thought I would give it a try!

MichelleOleson responded:
My husband has dealt with this for years and has seen several dermatologists. He was diagnosed to have lupus diseaseby thev first dr, PMLE by the second and skin lupus by another. Neither had any tyreatment options. Recently I started treatment of his terrible rash with leftover meds I had for fungal thing. It's been 3 weeks now and this thing is finally, finally going away. Hubby went to family dr and he Oked my treatments and continued presriptions for Floucanazole 100 mg tabs and anti fungal cream.

ktdid1956 replied to MichelleOleson's response:
Hi,
I also have the same problem. I used to tan when I was a teenager, I am now in my early 50's. About 20 years ago, I started sun burning and then itching and getting horrible rashes and hives. It would take weeks for it to go away. Only happens on my chest and back. My legs and arms get red and blotchy, but no rash. A couple of Drs were amazed at the rash. The first time this happened many years ago, I was prescribed a cream that started with LOTR...... This cleared up the rash in a couple of days. I can not remember the MD or the full name of the cream. I have over the years been given my other creams, which do nothing to help clear the rash. I try to remember to use sunscreen, but yeterday I forgot and I have a horrible itchy red rash all over my chest. By the time I get an appt with a dermatologist, the rash is gone. I was wondering if anyone has ever used a prescription cream starting with LOTR.... PLease help , I am so discouraged. I don't think this has anything to do with medication I am taking. The same time this happened, I also became allergic penicillin, ampicillin, vancomycin, sulfur drugs. I've ended up in the ER from bug bites with swelling. I see my Dr every 6mons and have routine blood work. Any suggestions???
PLEASE......

cindytrtt responded:
My dermatologist recommended the sunscreen TI Screen Natural SPF 16 which means it provides 16 times normal protection from the sun. It is 100% natural sunscreen. Free of PABA. Used for sensitive skin. I had to have a prescription for this sunscreen. It was a little expensive but it was WELL worth it. I can put it on and the rash does not appear. I was dx w PMLE when i turned 23. I am now 35. I cannot get in tanning beds or the sun. Furthermore, any UVA light! Hope this helps!!!!!

cindytrtt replied to ktdid1956's response:
Sounds like my situation! I can get in the sun for about four hours w sunscreen and within 3-4 days end up with an awful rash that looks like blisters that is painful, itches, burns, and has a tremendous amount of heat radiating from it. I only get it on my arms and legs. Nowhere else! It seems like it targets my most sensitive areas on the inner part of my legs and forearms. I was dx w/ PMLE when i was 23. A punch biopsy confirmed that. My dermatologist gave me a steroid cream called Clobetasol Propionate 0.05%. It works wonders on my rash. Depends on how severe of a rash i get but usually it resolves within a couple of days with application of this cream. Talk w your dermatologist to see if this cream would work for you. It is frustrating to not be able to get in the sun w/o breaking out with a horrible rash. I have been dealing w this for 12 yrs now. NO fun at all!!!!

cindytrtt replied to Annie_WebMD_Staff's response:
There was an episode on one of the morning TV shows that stated that an SPF of 50 or greater really did not provide any more protection from the sun!

bmusiq310 responded:
I know this is an old post, but I thought I'd respond anyway. I am 25 years old and have been suffering from Polymorphic Light Eruption since I was 9 years old. I have tried almost every treatment available for it, and the only thing that has worked for me is wearing broad-spectrum 100 SPF (I recommend Neutrogena) and staying out of the sun as much as possible. It doesn't sound like much fun, but I hate breaking out. I've done phototherapy, cortisone shots & prednisone (which ended up giving me osteopenia in my bones..so I can't have steroids anymore), Plaqeunil (antimalarial drug), & beta carotene.

There is one thing I haven't tried - Polypodium leucotomos extract (PLE) is currently marketed in New Zealand as Heliocare?. It is combined with two other antioxidants...green tea extract and beta-carotene. I am considering trying this.

Hope this is helpful to someone!

WickettWI responded:
Okay, I have this too, and I actually found my miracle product and haven't had a "rash" or breakout since! This first started for me years back, and it was on my neck, jawline, hairline, back and chest! It was terribly embarrassing, especially being a woman, and not being able to wear sute dresses or tops with these nasty bumps all over. So went to a dermatologist, and was told it was PLME, and tried all kinds of pills and creams. Needless to say, no results and it kept on coming back. Well another trip to the dermatologist, and they did a biopsy, and I was told it was fungal. So was prescribed Naftin gel, only after trying a number of other meds. Seemed to help at first, but not quite the results I was looking for. So , I decided to dabble around on here in the forums, and I saw a post about someone trying Lamasil. So, I decided to try it, why not, I had tried everything else right? So I bought the Wal-mart brand (Equate, around $5 for 20oz tube) and have been using that for a few weeks now, 2x a day. Works wonders!!! I also bought a bath brush (not too soft, something kind of stiff) and some Selsun Blue (Equate brand) and use that on the affected areas everytime I shower, for two weeks on and two off. I also switched from washing my clothes in cold water, to washing them in hot to kill off any bacteria or fungus that may be lingering on my clothes or linens. This has made a HUGE difference, and I am hoping that others suffering with this, or annoyed with it can also finally find a solution too...so I hope that I was able to help you with my suggestions, because I know I have been frustrated for way too long!

Take Care!
~Trish

eloisec responded:
Hi,
the only effective PMLE treatment on me is a body lotion with alpha-glucosylrutin and vitamin E. I have PMLE for 22 years and tried a lot of treatments. So far it's the only real effective preventive solution and it is totally natural.

I formulate this lotion myself with a cosmetic chemist. I tested it in Cape Cod last july. I spent 7 days on the beaches, typically 5 to 6 hours of direct sun exposure everyday. I didn't do anything else prior to vacation and didn't use vitamin or topical corticosteroid. I wanted to be sure the effects were only from the lotion.

From all the preventive treatments I've tried so far, it is the only solution that has reduced 90% of my symptoms. The only minor rash that appeared was under my arms and on the back of my thighs where lotion may have been removed by my towel. Hope you can give it a try too! Good luck to you all to find a solution for your PMLE.

Jennifer168 replied to eloisec's response:
Will your chemist or you share the ingredients used for this cream? Is this something you would sell to one in need?

Featuring Experts

Mohiba K Tareen, MD is a board certified dermatologist who has an innovative practice in Roseville, Minnesota. Tareen Dermatology ( www.TareenDermato...More

Helpful Tips

Avoid drinking margaritas in the sun!Expert
One of the most common things that we see in the office in the summer and after winter vacations are burns from people having lime juice ... More
Was this Helpful?
12 of 13 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.