Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up
Itchy red bumps that come and go
jessicalw28 posted:
For the past week or so, I have been getting itchy red bumps that come and go. They look like mosquito bites, but are in clusters of 10-20. They have been on my elbows, knees, thighs and tops of my feet. They usually pop up in the morning and late at night. They get better within about an hour if I put hydrocortisone cream on them or take Benadryl. They pop up in different places each day. Does anyone know what this could be. Is it hives? I have not ever experienced symptoms of allergies before. I have not used any new detergents, soaps or lotions. I am wondering if it is possibly a food allergy. Can a food allergy happen all of a sudden. I also have some of the atypical symptoms of Celiac disease (anxiety, mouth ulcers, irregular periods, frequent gas, chronic heartburn, bruising easily, eczema), but am not sure if this rash is dermatitis herpetiformis because it is not painful.

An_207187 responded:
it sounds like cholinergic urticaria, which is a skin reaction to stimuli such as heat, cold water, sudden change in body temperature, it also can be caused by stress. Usually you'll break out in hives for an hour or so, if benadryl makes you too sleepy, and you get the hives at the same time every day, take claritin to prevent them. I've had this problem for ten years, it started out of no where when i would exercise. I've been to a bunch of doctors and the most i've gotten is some allergy medicine. good luck.

Featuring Experts

Mohiba K Tareen, MD is a board certified dermatologist who has an innovative practice in Roseville, Minnesota. Tareen Dermatology ( www.TareenDermato...More

Helpful Tips

Eczema - Part IExpert
Dear Readers, Of all the skin conditions I see, the most frustrating for both me and my patients has to be eczema. The most common form ... More
Was this Helpful?
23 of 30 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.