Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up
Includes Expert Content
my severe eczema
MrsGarriest1 posted:
I AM A 25YR OLD WOMAN AND FOR ABOUT TWO YEARS NOW I HAVE HAD A PROBLEM WITH ECZEMA.I HAVE BEEN TO A DERMATOLOGIST AND TRIED VARIOUS MEDICATIONS AND ITS JUST GETTING WORSE.MY PROBLEM AREAS ARE MY FEET(INNER AND OUTER SIDES)WHICH HAVE ALSO BEEN GETTING DARKER IN COLOR OVER TIME.I EXPERIERENCE EXTREME ITCHING AND IRRITATION,PAIN AT ALL THE TIME. PLEASE HELP ME!!!!!!

Susan Evans, MD responded:
Dear MrsGarriest1,

I'm so sorry to hear about your suffering from eczema. Unfortunately, eczema is a lifelong condition that cannot be cured. The best we can hope for is to control your symptoms.

For eczema patients it is essential that you try to discover what might be your triggers. There is some evidence that eczema is related to stress and/or allergies. Managing both stress and allergies might provide you some relief.

This link may be helpful to you:

http://www.webmd.com/allergies/guide/eczema

I still recommend that you work with your dermatologist to see if you can find a way to manage your symptoms so that you aren't suffering all the time.

Some patients have found relief in various ways including increasing their Omega-3 consumption in their diet, using softened water for bathing, and various lotions. Only you will know what works for you.

Best,

Dr. Evans

mepymepy replied to Susan Evans, MD's response:
Dear Dr. Evans,

I've had itchy, scaly, red ear canals for over ten years. My doctor said to live with it. Could this be eczema and do you have any suggestions?

Thanks,

Susan Evans, MD replied to mepymepy's response:
Dear mepymepy,

Thank you for your question.

I'm sure you understand that I cannot diagnose any conditions over this forum, however, if the itching and redness has been pretty consistent, you might consider keeping your ear canals lubricated with a vitamin E based lotion, and from time to time using a low-dose hydrocortisone cream to combat the itching.

Best,

Dr. Evans

AJmyers711 responded:
trust me i know how you feel. I am 18 and i have had eczema my intire life .doctor after doctor and no one can help me. mine covers me head to toe and the only thing that seems to help is lotion. everytime i gat out of the shower and evertime its dry enough to bother me...but if your like me it has to be unsented or it will make it worse

nikiseacht replied to AJmyers711's response:
I have been told since I was very little that I have eczema. when I was young I had it from head to toe and it was moderate ( itchy, oozy, and scaly.) But now that I am 23 it is secluded to my ankles only and it is now severe. I am concerned that it is not eczema at all but every doctor says it is and they treat me for it. They have put me on every type of cream, lotion, pill there is, but nothing helps. It is constantly itchy, flaky, oozy, and most of the time it is BLEEDING now. It stings and burns when I put any type of lotion or cream on it and the only thing that has helped with it at all temporarily for the burning and stinging pain is aloe sun burn gel with lido-cane in it. What should I do?

deh1216 replied to nikiseacht's response:
hello,

my daughter was told she had eczema on her knees and elbows, she is now 12. she was mis diagnosed. she actually has psorarisis. she had the same red patches itchy, flaky and whatever they told us to use on it made it worse or burned badly when put on. another doctor(now or reg one) determined that she had this because some of her fingernails look like someone took a pin or a nail and just kept poking them to leave marks. and would never go away on her nails. he suggested just plain old vasoline. and it has worked, it does get worse in the winter due to the dry and cold but if she cakes on the stuff daily it helps a whole lot. her patches clear up amazingly. hopefully this helps you out.

jdmlou responded:
Dear Mrs. Garriest1,

The main cause of eczema is overreaction of the immune system to various substances. So keeping immune system under control is an important part of the treatment. I cleared my eczema with serenaskin herbal remedies that offer not just topical treatment, but internal as well - their eczema extract regulates the immune system, so it will not trigger flare-ups.
http://www.serenaskin.com

Bailey825 responded:
hi, i use cortizone 10 for eczema and it cleared up my hands with in 3weeks... it saved my life!! i hope that it can help you out too.

An_207206 responded:
Hi,
I have had eczema really bad in the past and I really recommend cetaphil. Its a very thick lotion you put on at least twice a day then when you itch, use something like an anti-itching gel. I recommend benadryl anti itching gel. It has a cooling effect to it so it easily distracts you from the itching.

An_207207 responded:
I too suffer from sever eczema, one of my problem areas has always been my feet, I found that cotton socks and shoes that allow air movement such as mesh top shoes will make a huge difference I recently bought a pair and my feet have cleared up for the most part except for a bit of itcing and peeling. Also you could try using eucerian (not sure on the spelling) lather it on and wear socks to bed ive been told it works great but I dont tolerate it because of the feeling of lotion on them. And try your best NOT to itch ( I understand this is hard not to do) but it will help the scaring and darkening of skin. Hope this helps.

PUCHONG responded:
Dear MrsGarriest1,

My friend has the eczema since for more than 18 years. So far her condition is fine after I suggested her changing her lifestyle and consume some effective nutrition.

If you want it, I can share with you.

Take care.

Joy

PUCHONG replied to mepymepy's response:
Yes. My friend has it for more than 18 years. So far ok. If you want to know further, I can can share with you the solution.

Take care.

Joy

covica responded:
my daughter has eczema, and hers gets terrible when she touches the carpet. (she is learning to crawl, so its always flaring up). the only thing that has helped her is a lotion called goose grease. you get it from a pharmacy that compunds mixtures. after i put that all over her, it goes away pretty quickly, then i put gold bond soothing fragrance free lotion all over her. my sister-in-law swears by coconut oil, but i havent tried it, because the goose grease works for us.

ezcemanomore09 replied to covica's response:
I feel your pain. My son is 17 months old and has suffered from severe ezcema since he was 3 months old. We have tried every cream imaginable (different steroid creams, which we try to stay away from & use only when we become desperate). We use dye free everything, no perfumes, organic pjs with built-in mittens. Drs say he will probably outgrown it, but it runs our whole day and night. He currently wakes up every 1-3 hours itching bad. antihistimes don't work........
What pharmacy did you find the goose grease at and what is it called?
I currently put coconut oil on him, it lubricates well, but doesn't take away the itch completely...............
good luck with your little one!

Featuring Experts

Mohiba K Tareen, MD is a board certified dermatologist who has an innovative practice in Roseville, Minnesota. Tareen Dermatology ( www.TareenDermato...More

Helpful Tips

Thick skin and cracked
I had a patch of skin that was so thick I could not feel pain in it. The skin was also cracking and itchy. I tried something I don't ... More
Was this Helpful?
1 of 2 found this helpful

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems to the
Food and Drug Administration

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.