Skip to content
sebaceous cyst - pain relief needed
Bradley26497 posted:
I have had a cyst on my back, identified by my HCP as a sebaceous cyst, for the last year. Last week it began to grow, a bit smaller than a walnut now. In the last 4 days it has grown red, and my wife says it's hot to the touch. I now have a constant level 5 (1-10) on the pain scale that goes up to 9 if I lean back or lay on the bed. Seems clear it's infected, and I will likely not get to see my doc until tomorrow at the very earliest. I haven't really slept in 2 days, and am desperate for some pain relief until I can see my doc. I do not want to use the wrong thing and worsen the condition.. so: Ice? Heat? Acetaminophen? Please, someone knowledgeable?
Sparky23456 responded:
Dear Bradley: Sorry to answer your call for help so now you've (hopefully!) seen your doctor and gotten some relief. If not, I'm afraid that the best I can tell you is to take acetaminophen and apply either warm or cool compresses (whichever feels most soothing to you). I wish you well, and may God bless.
Bradley26497 responded:
Thank you Sparky. The resulting events this morning answered my prior questions, and also point out some issues: 1 - My doctor yelled at me for not using his emergency number on Sunday. "I could have called in a script, at the very least" 2 - He prescribed prescription strength acetaminophen and antibiotics for the infection. For the pain, a warm compress soaked in salt water. 3 - I'm scheduled to have it removed as soon as the infection subsides. I'm warned that it will likely rupture during this process. Hope that helps someone else down the line. and thanks!

Featuring Experts

Mohiba K Tareen, MD is a board certified dermatologist who has an innovative practice in Roseville, Minnesota. Tareen Dermatology ( www.TareenDermato...More

Helpful Tips

Treatment for StingsExpert
Keep a container of meat tenderizer by the kitchen sink. If someone gets stung, make a quick paste by putting some of the meat tenderizer ... More
Was this Helpful?
5 of 7 found this helpful

Related Drug Reviews

  • Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.