Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up
Painful swollen oozing rash on lips. PLS HELP
insaniac87 posted:
Literally over night what i thought was a small patch of chapped skin on the left corner of my cheek/lip area has covered my entire lip area and the small amount of facial skin directly connected to my lips. This will be the second day of full rash, as i thought id try to wait it out yesterday, and my fourth day since the small chapped region appeared. It is causing me alot of pain when i talk or eat and just simply burns when not being touched. My lips will randomly ooze a clear slightly yellowish liquid from the irritated surfaces (there are no notable open sores) and they are only increasing in swelling and are currently double their normal size, though they dont have the 'poofy' feely associated with most swelling. My lips are also understandably peeling their skin from the swelling. i am not experiencing any other symptoms, no fever, no swollen lymphnodes, my inner lips are also unaffected, as well as inner mouth areas being unaffected

i have a known food allergy to bell peppers, notably the green variety, but have not come into contact with any, nor have i done anything new, no new food, soap, cleaners or anything i hadn't used many mmany times befor.

my only notable medical issue is that i am currently postpartum and have a 3 month old baby, and i am not breastfeeding due to production difficulties, though i produced in minor ammounts up until 4 weeks ago. (dont know if this might be significant)

i would like to resolve this at home if possible as i do not mave any medical insurance nor do i qualify anymore for any state sponsored health aids

(i can share a picture on my facebook page if it would help in diagnosis)

rgarland responded:
It sounds like a cold sore (fever blister). I have been getting them for most of my life. It wasn't until I was grown that I found out that they are contagious and can be spread by kissing or drinking after someone who has one. Taking pain meds like tylenol or motrin will help the pain. Be careful not to spread the oozy liquid to other areas on your face and body. That will cause you to break out in those spots later. It is a virus of the nervous system and I find that I break out after I have been upset, sick or sunburned. I have tried all the usual meds for the herpies but, none of them seem to work for me. However, by accident, I found that valium will knock it out completely if I catch it early enough. My doctors have a hard time believing this and don't like to prescribe it. Talk to a doctor about trying some of the usual medications for it and be very careful about kissing and letting people drink after you. Keep your hands washed and try not to touch it.

Featuring Experts

Mohiba K Tareen, MD is a board certified dermatologist who has an innovative practice in Roseville, Minnesota. Tareen Dermatology ( www.TareenDermato...More

Helpful Tips

Eczema - Part IExpert
Dear Readers, Of all the skin conditions I see, the most frustrating for both me and my patients has to be eczema. The most common form ... More
Was this Helpful?
23 of 30 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.