Skip to content
Includes Expert Content
Pimples at very young age (9 1/2)
An_207261 posted:

Dear Sir/Madam,

I have a young daughter age 9 1/2 years old(3rd grade). She has developed a lot of pimples on her forehead. This makes me worried and I want to know what is the right cleanser for her to use. She hardly eat vegetables, and only like to drink juices. But normally i will dilute the juices with water.

This acne zit seems doesn't go away. It became more and more. SInce she is very young, I am concern on how to handle it. Please help me. Thank you so much.

Take the Poll

What is the best treatment for pimples growing at a very young age, like 9 years old girl.
  • pimples
  • acne
  • zit
vote
View Poll Results

Susan Evans, MD responded:
Dear Anon 49947,

It is important to know that acne is usually the result of a fluctuation of hormones. Your daughter, while she's only 9-1/2 is at the beginning stage of puberty, and her hormones are certainly beginning to act up.

Helping her to establish a good health and wellness regimen can help, but it may not stop the eruption of the acne.

Best,

Dr. Evans

Yuss1 replied to Susan Evans, MD's response:

Dear Dr. Susan Evans,

Thank you for your reply. I really appreciate it. Could you advice me on what kind of cleanser should I get for her. At the moment I only use Olay bath soap for her, and i just put a Vaseline body lotion on her face. It seems getting worse at times as it doesn't go away. I pity her because she said she is the only girl in her class who have zits/pimples.

And yes you are right she is at her puberty age as her breast started growing and few changes at her private part too. What sort of wellness regimen should i do with her?

Thank you Doctor.

Susan Evans, MD replied to Yuss1's response:
Dear Yuss1,

There are a number of products on the market that use either salicylic acid or benzoyl peroxide that are used to target mild acne. I recommend finding one product, and try only one at a time. Some of them recommend usage more than once a day, but as your daughter is so young, start by using it only once a day. I would also stop using the body lotion on her face. She is likely producing enough oil that she doesn't need additional lotion. If she does, look for an oil-free facial lotion.

Best of luck,

Dr. Evans

Featuring Experts

Mohiba K Tareen, MD is a board certified dermatologist who has an innovative practice in Roseville, Minnesota. Tareen Dermatology ( www.TareenDermato...More

Helpful Tips

WHAT DO U DO WHEN THE CHILDRENS SERVERE ECEMA
I HAVE TWO GRANDCHILDRENS WITH EXTREME ECZEMA. THE GIRL CRY &SCRATCH ,THE BOY IS A 8 MOS AND HE SCRATCH TILL HE BLEED I PUT THE CREAM ... More
Was this Helpful?
1 of 3 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.