Includes Expert Content
Pimples at very young age (9 1/2)
An_207261 posted:

Dear Sir/Madam,

I have a young daughter age 9 1/2 years old(3rd grade). She has developed a lot of pimples on her forehead. This makes me worried and I want to know what is the right cleanser for her to use. She hardly eat vegetables, and only like to drink juices. But normally i will dilute the juices with water.

This acne zit seems doesn't go away. It became more and more. SInce she is very young, I am concern on how to handle it. Please help me. Thank you so much.

Take the Poll

What is the best treatment for pimples growing at a very young age, like 9 years old girl.
  • pimples
  • acne
  • zit
vote
View Poll Results

Susan Evans, MD responded:
Dear Anon 49947,

It is important to know that acne is usually the result of a fluctuation of hormones. Your daughter, while she's only 9-1/2 is at the beginning stage of puberty, and her hormones are certainly beginning to act up.

Helping her to establish a good health and wellness regimen can help, but it may not stop the eruption of the acne.

Best,

Dr. Evans

Yuss1 replied to Susan Evans, MD's response:

Dear Dr. Susan Evans,

Thank you for your reply. I really appreciate it. Could you advice me on what kind of cleanser should I get for her. At the moment I only use Olay bath soap for her, and i just put a Vaseline body lotion on her face. It seems getting worse at times as it doesn't go away. I pity her because she said she is the only girl in her class who have zits/pimples.

And yes you are right she is at her puberty age as her breast started growing and few changes at her private part too. What sort of wellness regimen should i do with her?

Thank you Doctor.

Susan Evans, MD replied to Yuss1's response:
Dear Yuss1,

There are a number of products on the market that use either salicylic acid or benzoyl peroxide that are used to target mild acne. I recommend finding one product, and try only one at a time. Some of them recommend usage more than once a day, but as your daughter is so young, start by using it only once a day. I would also stop using the body lotion on her face. She is likely producing enough oil that she doesn't need additional lotion. If she does, look for an oil-free facial lotion.

Best of luck,

Dr. Evans