Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up
Includes Expert Content
Freckles turn into scabs
spartacus17 posted:
About three years ago, some of the freckles on my body began to harden, as if turning into scabs, and then flake off like a scab. The freckles are still there, and everyone once in a while they will turn into scabs again (though this happens very rarely). Sometimes it's the same freckles, sometimes it's new ones. I've looked on the web to see if this is a symptom of skin cancer, but I haven't found anything that says it is. Anyone have an idea of what this might be?

Susan Evans, MD responded:
Dear spartacus17,

What you are describing sounds like the result of years of sun exposure. As you know, it is impossible to give you a diagnosis over this forum, but you're describing something that sounds like actinic keratosis. Here is a link to WebMD's site that provides a photograph of this condition:

http://www.webmd.com/melanoma-skin-cancer/slideshow-sun-damaged-skin

If you suspect that your freckles are beginning to resemble this photo, please get an evaluation by your dermatologist as this could be an early sign of skin cancer. If you deal with it quickly, it is very easy to handle.

Best,

Dr. Evans

Featuring Experts

Mohiba K Tareen, MD is a board certified dermatologist who has an innovative practice in Roseville, Minnesota. Tareen Dermatology ( www.TareenDermato...More

Helpful Tips

psoriasis tips
I have put up with psoriasis for decades. Nasty drugs like embrel will have dramatic results but at a huge cost to both your body and ... More
Was this Helpful?
0 of 0 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.