Skip to content
Includes Expert Content
Rash inbetween thighs and below genitals.
An_207291 posted:
Here's is what happened:

Its hot where I live and I lift alot and workout so 4 weeks ago I used the gold bond green powder to put down there to stay cool, I was using it twice to three times a day for two weeks. well i cant remember when i first noticing them if it was before or after i hooked up with my ex, but the sex was protected and it was 2 weeks ago. well around the same time i began noticing a rash inbetween my thighs and below my genital area. i am worrying myself that its herpes but keep telling myself the sex was protected and this area is where heat and moisture get into, so it could be something else and praying i dont have an std!

on the pictures of herpes it appears that they are crusting over, where these are scaling on the outside as you can see the circles around the red sores. they itch more than they do burn.

4 days ago i started some antifungal jock itch medication and i have no clue if its working, so today i went out and got some hydrocortisone cream to add to the treatment.

1) do you think its a chemical burn from overdoing the gold bond? 2) should i go to the doctor for an std test? 3) should i wait a few more days with the antifungal/cortisone treatment?

Susan Evans, MD responded:
Dear Anon_55388,

It certainly is appropriate to get a medical evaluation for this situation. While your sex was protected, there are still certain sexually transmitted diseases that are not limited by "protected" sex.

If it is an STD, you will get started on appropriate treatment, if it is something else, again, you will begin appropriate treatment. Most of the time it is best to get a diagnosis rather than try the "shotgun" approach to treatment, just trying anything to see if it works. It is a waste of money, and if it is the wrong treatment, you will end up suffering longer. Make an appointment with your doctor.


Dr. Evans
Dfwdave responded:
I have a rash from Gold Bond that looks exactly like that. My partner and I are STD free and monogamous so it's definitely not that. I'm still trying to figure out what to apply. I don't have health insurance currently so I'd like to try to find an OTC product.

Featuring Experts

Mohiba K Tareen, MD is a board certified dermatologist who has an innovative practice in Roseville, Minnesota. Tareen Dermatology ( www.TareenDermato...More

Helpful Tips

Treatment for StingsExpert
Keep a container of meat tenderizer by the kitchen sink. If someone gets stung, make a quick paste by putting some of the meat tenderizer ... More
Was this Helpful?
5 of 7 found this helpful

Related Drug Reviews

  • Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.