Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up
Includes Expert Content
My Lip Keeps Peeling Off And Gets Worse
viciouzbarbie posted:
Both the upper lip and bottom lip, it keeps peeling off and my lip feels uncomfortable because it feels like a peach fuzz on my lip. I tried applying Vitamin E oil, Burt's Bee's both original and medicated lip balm, menthol lip balm etc. and none of them worked. I also try to drink a lot of water, but it's not helping either. Also, there's a bump on my lip (i think i got that from kissing and its been years Ive had that) and the reg. doctor told me it's nothing serious but I don't know if that's causing it to make the lip skin worse or not. And I don't want to go to doctors many times because of the money. Would the dermatologist help more and do you think it will stop getting my lip worse?

Susan Evans, MD responded:
Dear ViciouzBarbie,

If this condition has persisted for as long as it sounds, it is time to see your dermatologist. There are conditions of the lips that can be precursors to skin cancer due to overexposure to the sun.

What you have could be something else entirely, but I would not want to wait any longer than you have to get a sound diagnosis.

Best,

Dr. Evans

viciouzbarbie replied to Susan Evans, MD's response:
I know that it is not a skin cancer. I just don't know what to exactly do because I tried many things, but none of them worked. The lip skin keeps peeling off little by little everytime. Do you think dermatologist would be able to help me more than the regular or the ear,nose,mouth doctor?

Susan Evans, MD replied to viciouzbarbie's response:
How are you certain that this is not a precursor to skin cancer? Did your dermatologist make this evaluation? I really recommend getting a dermatologic evaluation if you've not done so.

Best,

Dr. Evans

Featuring Experts

Mohiba K Tareen, MD is a board certified dermatologist who has an innovative practice in Roseville, Minnesota. Tareen Dermatology ( www.TareenDermato...More

Helpful Tips

noseeums - no-see-ums
I have suffered with the noseeums. DEET works and there is some information about prevention at www.http://noseeums.org/ More
Was this Helpful?
1 of 2 found this helpful

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems to the
Food and Drug Administration

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.