Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up
Includes Expert Content
no idea what it could be...
An_207329 posted:
I have a small area on my back approx. (1.5" dia.) that looks like a group of headless pimples. it has not grown, shrunk, become red or changed in physical appearance. It has been there for 3 days and only now has become annoyingly sensitive with 'waves' of slight pain at about a 2 on a 1-10 scale. i have not tried to pop them nor have i treated it in any way. ive been careful not to irritate or open it up . ive been told its everything from bad acne to a staph infection. any idea whats wrong with me?

Susan Evans, MD responded:
Dear Anon 60683,

While it is not possible to diagnose over this forum, I'd like to recommend that you get in to your doctor. The pain that accompanies the rash makes me suspicious that what you're suffering might possibly be shingles. This is best treated earlier than later.

Best,

Dr. Evans

ColbyArdis responded:
you have shingles, just like I found out today I have. I thought I was having heart related problems with shooting pain in my chest and arm area, but when they saw the spot on my lest arm and the three areas on my back, they said I have shingles and WebMD confirms those symptoms for shingles. Get to a Dr so he can give you the Rx you need. God bless you. Colby

HealthInsuranceBlues replied to Susan Evans, MD's response:
I was just diagnosed with shingles. The rash goes around my left ear it extends up from the middle of the ear to nearly the top of my head goes all the way down my neck. It looks similar to a bite from a small shark. However the doctor did not see the rash on my back. This rash runs down the center of the spine starting about 6 inches from the base of the neck and going down about 10 inches it is about 5 inches wide. After reading the post above from Anon 60683 I am wondering if the rash is caused by shingles. I am wondering if I should go back to my doctor and ask him to look at it, any suggestions?

Featuring Experts

Mohiba K Tareen, MD is a board certified dermatologist who has an innovative practice in Roseville, Minnesota. Tareen Dermatology ( www.TareenDermato...More

Helpful Tips

noseeums - no-see-ums
I have suffered with the noseeums. DEET works and there is some information about prevention at www.http://noseeums.org/ More
Was this Helpful?
1 of 2 found this helpful

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems to the
Food and Drug Administration

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.