Skip to content
Includes Expert Content
Strange bump on face
bailey08 posted:
This morning I got out of the shower and noticed this large red spot on the left side of my face. Its slightly raised and is about the size of a nickel. I'm kind of worried it might be ring worm but I've had ringworm before and it always started out as a small mosquito bite looking bump that itches really bad.I didnt notice anything there until today all of a sudden and it doesnt itch at all either. I put on some anit-fungal cream just in case. I really hope its not ringworm especially since its on my face. Could it be a bug bite or a allergic reaction to something?

Susan Evans, MD responded:
Dear bailey08,

Without seeing this red spot, it is entirely possible that it could be due to any one of the possibilities that you mentioned.

Usually I discourage using antifungals on something until you know you're dealing with a fungal infection. It's possible that it is a bug bite, or a reaction to something that you touched or ate.

Keep an eye on it. If it spreads, becomes worse, or does not go away within about 10 days, seek a medical opinion.

If it shows definite signs of ringworm, then treat it accordingly.

I hope this helps some.

Best,

Dr. Evans

Featuring Experts

Mohiba K Tareen, MD is a board certified dermatologist who has an innovative practice in Roseville, Minnesota. Tareen Dermatology ( www.TareenDermato...More

Helpful Tips

Treatment for StingsExpert
Keep a container of meat tenderizer by the kitchen sink. If someone gets stung, make a quick paste by putting some of the meat tenderizer ... More
Was this Helpful?
4 of 6 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.