dry scaly skin on face
swtlilkokoro posted:
I have dry scaly patches of skin on the area next to my nose and on my forehead.

The skin is red and peeling and usually pretty dry, but only in those areas. The texture feels a bit thicker and rougher than the other parts of my skin. They look more sunburned than anything but I always put on SPF 55 sunscreen and am in the sun for 20 min maximum during the day. At night, I apply aloe vera then moisturizer for combination skin. Applying some moisturizers can burn my skin a bit.

I started getting it in the winter when the air was dry. Sometimes it goes away, but it comes back. Exfoliating the dead skin off seems to make it worse.

What is it and how can I treat it?

Annie_WebMD_Staff responded:
Hi there,

If you think that you have psoriasis or eczema (as per the tags on your message) then please do see your doctor for help as these are medical conditions and you may need prescription medications to control it.

Read more about it in the Eczema Health Center and the Psoriasis Health Center.

- Annie

misswondering responded:
I have the same problem. Its on the sides of my nose. I think its seborric dermatitis. The emergency room doctor, and clinic doctors i've seen prescribed cortico steroids that did nothing to make it go away. I also have some kind of patch scaly condition on my scalp and raw sores on my back that seem to temporarily go away and fade into little brown spots but when i get hot they flare up really badly. Its maddening cause the doctors have prescribed nothing effective yet. I dont have a personal doctor and now I remember why.

Cretia500 responded:
I'm having the exact same problem, just a couple weeks ago it started to happen, and i thought it was lack of moisture but no matter what i do it keeps coming back. It only on my sides of my nose and on my temples. Did you treat yours yet?

Spots responded:
I have this problem to, I have acne though I use a cream that has clindamycin and benzoyl peroxide. Safe area skin to the sides of my nose and my forehead, it feels very scaly and tight...

An_258293 replied to misswondering's response:
have the same problem in the same areas of my face - and i don't (and won't) have a personal doc for the same reasons.

here is the twist to my problem, as well as how i deal with it:

i have have lived a lot of my life in an oil boom town in oklahoma. the soil here is so poisoned, it causes a variety of health problems for a lot of people (usually bladder, kidney, liver, colon cancers) but also, a lot of hair & skin problems.

this problem goes AWAY whenever i leave or move from oklahoma. it clears up in about 2 weeks EVERYTIME.

i eat healthy & hydrate healthy. i'm a healthy person - so water is not the problem. it's a petroleum pollutant released into the environment that lingers forever. not that i play in the dirt, but soil is fine & become air-born, it also leaches into the water. people here know to NEVER trust the water.

whenever i return to oklahoma, it takes about 2 months to reappear. how do i deal with it? you may not like it. uropathy, or urotherapy, or urine therapy. nothing. nothing. nothing comes close to it. use a good search engine that doesn't break any privacy or security laws such as duckduckgo or motherpipe or whatever else besides you-know-who so you can do your own research & look into it. i doubt you'll regret it at all.

i also use witch hazel (which is an astringent from a shrub of the same name). avoid all manufactured unnatural nonsense & dangerous junk from drug pushers. take nature's route, and the condition becomes much much much more manageable.

in my case, moving is the best thing to do, because then the condition just disappears -no treatment necessary-. but currently that isn't an option for the foreseeable future, so i use my own urine as well as witch hazel.

i'm sure a search engine brought you here, so use a search engine to further educate yourself.