Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up
Includes Expert Content
Extreme and Unusual Dandruff
shirazness posted:
Dear Dr. Evans and WebMD Community,

I'm a 21 year old college student who has been suffering with dandruff for as long as I can remember. As a child, I had pretty mild white dandruff flakes, but as I grew older and reached adulthood, I noticed a huge change in my dandruff. For the past five years or so, my dandruff appears to be stuck on my scalp. The flakes are brown when they fall off my scalp and collect mostly at my front hairline. I usually try to massage olive oil, shea butter, and/or tea tree oil on my scalp, because it's dry and that helps temporarily loosen up the flakes and get rid of them. But even when I do, my scalp appears inflamed.

My front hairline always appears white and contrasts with my skin color in an embarrassing way. I'm starting to wonder if this is a more serious skin condition like psoriasis, but it doesn't appear to be as extreme as most cases

Please let me know what you think this is and what your suggestions are to help alleviate these symptoms long-term.

Thanks in advance,
Susan Evans, MD responded:
Dear Shiraz,

I'm sure you understand that it isn't possible to give you a diagnosis over this forum. However, it certainly is possible that you are dealing with a form of psoriasis. If this is the case, you'll need to seek a medical opinion from a doctor who is able to take your medical history and to observe your scalp in person.

Taking these steps now may help you long into the future.


Dr. Evans

Featuring Experts

Mohiba K Tareen, MD is a board certified dermatologist who has an innovative practice in Roseville, Minnesota. Tareen Dermatology ( www.TareenDermato...More

Helpful Tips

noseeums - no-see-ums
I have suffered with the noseeums. DEET works and there is some information about prevention at www. More
Was this Helpful?
1 of 2 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

  • Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.