Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up
Includes Expert Content
Big, red, bump leaking pus under arm
koreaprof posted:
About five or six days ago, I had a big, red, kind of tender/painful bump appear in the middle of my armpit. At first I passed it off as a pimple and even tried to squeeze it to reduce some of the pressure but it wouldn't burst. Eventually it started to look a bit white on the top and was able to pop it with only a little bit of white stuff coming out. The pain didn't really stop and it began to get more tender and whitish colored on top.

Now, it seems to be raised even higher and there are two spots where it seems like this yellow pus is coming out at all times. It seems to leak out a little. Right now it is VERY painful.

*I am not sure if it is "spreading" exactly, but I am beginning to feel another small, painful pump about 2 inches above it. So far it has no symptoms other than being raised, red, and painful.

I really appreciate any advice on this matter.

Susan Evans, MD responded:
Dear koreaprof,

This does sound like it might be a cyst. Keeping the area as clean and dry as possible might be helpful, though using warm compresses could help the swelling and/or bring the cyst to a head. I do not recommend squeezing this as you can put pressure on the infected material and force it deeper into your body rather than getting it out.

If this continues to spread or develops a greater degree of infection, you may wish to be evaluated. Some people develop a condition where they develop numerous cysts in their underarm area.

Best,

Dr. Evans

koreaprof replied to Susan Evans, MD's response:
I went to the doctor today because it kept getting worse and more painful.

The problem is that I am in Korea and I don't exactly trust the doctors here.

The doctor squeezed the heck out of it and basically left a crater there. I hope it will get better and not return.

Susan Evans, MD replied to koreaprof's response:
Keep this area clean and dry now. Certainly wash it when you bathe, but then keep it covered until it begins to heal. Most of the time this will heal without any additional intervention on your part. Keep us posted.

Best,

Dr. Evans

Featuring Experts

Mohiba K Tareen, MD is a board certified dermatologist who has an innovative practice in Roseville, Minnesota. Tareen Dermatology ( www.TareenDermato...More

Helpful Tips

noseeums - no-see-ums
I have suffered with the noseeums. DEET works and there is some information about prevention at www.http://noseeums.org/ More
Was this Helpful?
1 of 2 found this helpful

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems to the
Food and Drug Administration

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.