Skip to content
Includes Expert Content
Shingles
Morgbay posted:
"post-herpetic neuralgia (PHN), lingering nerve pain after a shingles attack" I had shingles about two years ago and ever since there are times when parts of my skin feel like they are burn or stabbing pain when pressure from clothing touches it but it is not always in the same spots as where my shingles were. Does PHN only happen where shingles sores were or does it effect other places?
FirstPrevious12NextLast

Susan Evans, MD responded:
Dear Morgbay,

Because shingles runs along your nerve pathways, the virus can have reached portions of your nerves without actually showing physical skin symptoms. It is possible that this is still post-herpetic neuralgia.

If it worsens, moves to areas not even close to where you originally had your shingles, you might wish to be evaluated to make sure you don't have another underlying condition.

Best,

Dr. Evans

laurawright66 replied to Susan Evans, MD's response:
What would be an underlying condition. I have been having pain from "shingles" without a rash for almost 2 month now.

Susan Evans, MD replied to laurawright66's response:
Dear Laura,

Shingles is a frustrating condition. What I intended to say, is if you have pain in other areas of your body, i.e. head, hands, feet, arms, distant from where you had shingles you should consider another evaluation. There are certain diseases that affect your nerves, diabetes being the most common.

As for the lingering post-herpetic neuralgia, there are some individuals who develop chronic pain from a shingles infection. Because you've been having pain for two months, you may want to go back to your original doctor and ask for help in dealing with the pain.

Best,

Dr. Evans

kainbeast responded:
yes. my father-in-law had the shingles right around thanksgiving 2010. Rash gone but pain is still there. but it comes and goes. like he can have a good day and not have an y pain or discomfort. then there will be days where he can't get out of bed. it burns and hurts to have a shirt on. his doctor didn't say anything about it. so i'm asking for some tips or info about the pain. please reply a.s.a.p. thank you

kainbeast replied to Susan Evans, MD's response:
yes. my father-in-law had the shingles right around thanksgiving 2010. Rash gone but pain is still there. but it comes and goes. like he can have a good day and not have an y pain or discomfort. then there will be days where he can't get out of bed. it burns and hurts to have a shirt on. his doctor didn't say anything about it. so i'm asking for some tips or info about the pain. please reply a.s.a.p. thank you

laura2gemini2 replied to kainbeast's response:
There are some good medications now that can help with shingle pain, the one I hear most often is a lidocaine patch.

CintyM replied to kainbeast's response:
I had the shingles and they caused nerve damage. They treated me but they didn't completely go away. A blood test can show if they are still active. That was the worst pain I have ever had in my life.

CodyKid replied to CintyM's response:
I have had shingles since the first of November. I was unaware of what they were and when I realized, it was a weekend. I was unable to see my doctor until the next week - which extended beyond the 72 hours they advise for complete cure from the anitbiotic that is strictly for shingles or nerves. It is a 7 day treatment only and they do not renew. I have been on Gabapentin for pain and the lipoderm patches. My rash was very slight but it was mostly internal. The rash is gone but the pain has not. In several internet medical posts I have found that shingles after pain can last for years and even the rest of your life. Without the Gabapentin I could not have stood the pain but am wishing to gradually decrease my dosages IF the pain will let me. There is a Shingles After Pain web site that I have subscribed to that has mentioned pain therapy. Time will tell.

golfgirl525 replied to CodyKid's response:
CodyKid - Could you please share the Shingles after pain website? I had shingles on my foot June of 2009 and have
been on Lyrica ever since. I have the side effect of weight
gain and want to get off of it. My exercise program has
been efftected but I still swim. The swimming causes
more pain as an after effect.

tigerbabygirl responded:
I know someone that had the shingles but they went away but the pain is there and i am trying to find out what to get for that person if you have any answers let me know

Shingles7 replied to laura2gemini2's response:
Did the patch make the shingles go away?

Shingles7 replied to CodyKid's response:
Yes, I had it for 2 months now and the internal pain nerve is still there and will it ever go away. I have been taking Lyrica and Vicodin. What else can I do?

Shingles7 replied to Shingles7's response:
Answer me quickly!

Elizabeth_WebMD_Staff replied to Shingles7's response:
Hello and Welcome Shingles7,

I am so sorry you are still suffering with the pain and symptoms of shingles.

The discussion you are responding to is a year old and unfortunately the original posters may not be following it any longer. You may want to begin a new discussion for possible member or expert response.

This recent article, At Risk for Shingles and Postherpetic Neuralgia , may be helpful. It does discuss the lidocaine cream and patches for relief.

Also, see our Shingles Health Center for additional information.

Hoping you find relief and are feeling better soon,
Elizabeth

Featuring Experts

Mohiba K Tareen, MD is a board certified dermatologist who has an innovative practice in Roseville, Minnesota. Tareen Dermatology ( www.TareenDermato...More

Helpful Tips

Natural Herbal Treatment For Actinic Keratosis
What is Actinic Keratosis? Actinic Keratosis is a skin disorder in which involves very small, elevated rough and reddish bumps on the ... More
Was this Helpful?
0 of 0 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.