Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up
Includes Expert Content
Dry Flaky Patch in lip area
An_207449 posted:
I have white, dry, flaky patches at the bottom corners of my lips. The dry areas came after having a fever blister. The areas started as small discolored dots, then progressed into larger darker patches. Now, it looks dry and slightly flaky, and feels weird when I touch it with my tongue. I sometime can peel the skin from the area. The area sometimes itches really bad and has a slight tingling (like pins and needles). Also when I stretch the skin i can see tiny white spots. Could you please tell me what this is and how to treat it. I've tried constantly moisturizing with Vaseline or another lip moisturizer but that doesn't seem to help. Initially, I thought the medicine I used for the fever blister (Abriva) burned my skin, but I don't think that is the case anymore. I have been suffering with this problem off and on for approximately a month. I have become very self conscious when I talk with people if I see them looking at my mouth. Please help!! Could this be a sign of lip cancer?

Susan Evans, MD responded:
Dear Anon 76935,

As you know I cannot give you a diagnosis over this forum, however, I am concerned that you have unrelieved dryness of your lips. It is possible that it could be an infection, or a result of the "fever blister", but as this will not resolve, it would be wise to see your doctor while the condition is present. That way your doctor can take a full medical history including any medication you have taken or are currently taking, and then conduct a physical examination of the area of concern.

If this is concerning, it can be handled right away. If it is something more benign, you can put your mind at ease.

Best,

Dr. Evans

Featuring Experts

Mohiba K Tareen, MD is a board certified dermatologist who has an innovative practice in Roseville, Minnesota. Tareen Dermatology ( www.TareenDermato...More

Helpful Tips

Eczema - Part IExpert
Dear Readers, Of all the skin conditions I see, the most frustrating for both me and my patients has to be eczema. The most common form ... More
Was this Helpful?
23 of 30 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.