Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up
Includes Expert Content
Rosacea question
An_207472 posted:
Hi, this is my first time posting on this board. I have rosacea. I don't have acne rosacea, just the red skin. Long story short, my rosacea has blocked some of my tear ducts, and so I have severely dry eyes as well. I went to my physician and she prescribed Metrogel 1%. If I want my eyes to get better, my opthalmologist told me I also need to treat the skin condition that caused the problem in the first place. But I've noticed that since I've started using the Metrogel, my skin has become severely dry. I put 2 coats of lotion on in the morning, and by mid afternoon my skin is flaking again. Can anyone recommend an excellent moisturizer for my face? I'm using Oil of Olay as well as Mary Kay Intense Moisturizing Cream, and they just aren't cutting it. I don't want to use Aquaphor because it is too greasy for me, but I'm looking for something along that strength. I'm putting the moisturizers on right after I apply the metrogel in the morning.

acdbed responded:
If it makes any difference, the optho also put me on doxycycline 50 mg twice a day for the next month and then once a day for the next 2 months after that. I'm not outside except to walk back and forth to my car from work.

Susan Evans, MD responded:
Dear Anon 78640,

Managing your rosacea is a very good idea as left untreated it will get worse. Unfortunately Metrogel can leave you battling dry skin and this complicates the course of your treatment. Metrogel's site can help you to understand more about your rosacea and the treatment you are on.

As for a skin care cream to moisturize your face, it is a matter of trial and error to see what works for you and what doesn't. I always suggest that you try to find brands that provide free samples, especially when they are relatively expensive. This way you can try something before purchasing an ineffective product.

Best,

Dr. Evans

casperatos responded:
Dear Sir/madam,

For my Masters' thesis I am looking for (English) people who have Rosacea or who have a family member with Rosacea.

I have developed a survey about Rosacea and your input will provide me of important information that will reinforce the outcome of my thesis. The survey is anonymous. It will take around 7 minutes to complete.

Title: "Market research on Rosacea in the UK"

I would deeply appreciate your help in filling out this survey. Click on the link below to fill in the survey:

http://www.thesistools.com/web/?id=341894

If you have any questions please don't hesitate to contact me. If you like I can send you the results of the survey afterwards
Thank you in advance for taking a moment of your time!

Wishing you all the best.
Kind regards,

Casper

Featuring Experts

Mohiba K Tareen, MD is a board certified dermatologist who has an innovative practice in Roseville, Minnesota. Tareen Dermatology ( www.TareenDermato...More

Helpful Tips

noseeums - no-see-ums
I have suffered with the noseeums. DEET works and there is some information about prevention at www.http://noseeums.org/ More
Was this Helpful?
1 of 2 found this helpful

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems to the
Food and Drug Administration

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.