Skip to content
Includes Expert Content
Swollen area near tailbone.
nesba263 posted:
First, I will absolutely be going to see a doctor. I was hoping someone could give me some insight as to what I up against. About 2 1/2 weeks ago I fell down a few steps, loosing my footing on the first step and bouncing on my butt for the next 4 or 5. Ow, it hurt for a min or two, but life goes on. I played a round of golf (fell at the golf course) afterwards, with no problems. I sort of landed on my left butt cheek/tailbone when I fell. Gradually over the last two weeks+, an area about the size of a quarter round, completely left of my tailbone in the muscle area of my buttocks, approx 1-1.5" above the tip of my tailbone, has formed what feels like a cyst. It feels deep under the skin, there is no head or anything like your might see in a boil. The skin is not broken, the area is tender and I have to be careful sitting down. If I bend over at the waist to touch my toes, you can feel a semi solid mass on the left of the bone structure very easily. The area is red and warm. It is also perspiring a little bit, almost like the area is sweating, but the right side of the same area is 100% normal. I'm reading online and it looks like I may have set a Pilonidal cyst in motion, as the area seems to have gotten worse, not better. I can run my fingers around the mass, and its not painful really. However, a good bang I'm sure would send me through the roof. Any thoughts or comments before I go to see my doctor? What would the ramifications/risks be for waiting a little bit and seeing it it gets any better, assuming the conditions stay the stable it its current state. Of course if it got worse in any way, I would go immediately to my doctor, but I was hoping that eventually the swelling would go down, and I could avoid any type of surgical procedure as missing work right now is really bad timing. Thoughts and/or comments are appreciated.

Tom

Susan Evans, MD responded:
Dear nesba263,

While I can't diagnosis you over the internet, your idea that you may have developed a pilonidal cyst seems like a reasonable possibility.

Here is a WebMD article on Pilonidal Cysts that may help you to decide whether you should go to see your doctor now, or wait and see how you do.

Best,

Dr. Evans

adqf70 responded:
I've had the same issue for almost ten years. First time it came up I waited. Didn't get to bad, shrunk some, was fine for a couple years. Second time antibiotics worked. Third time tried to wait it out ended up in ER. Couldn't sit or stand. Laid on my stomach on way to hospital and every bump was horrible. They cut most of it out and packed it with gauze so it could drain. Removed gauze next day. Out of work few days so I could flush it with water numerous times per day. It's still there and flares up occasionally but subsides pretty quick. Try to stay off of it and sit on your cheeks not your tailbone. The doughnut cushions you can get at a medical supply place may help.

nesba263 replied to Susan Evans, MD's response:
Thank you to both responses. I ended up going to the ER, as the pain has become unbearable. It was a pilonadal abscess, which was extremely painful to drain. I wanted to follow up to those who may read this in the future. DO NOT WAIT IF YOU HAVE THIS. Go to you doctor immediately. This went from a nuisance to a emergency in 48 hours. The procedure hurts enough to begin with, its better to have it done before the entire area is swollen and sore.

nesba263 replied to adqf70's response:
Thank you to both responses. I ended up going to the ER, as the pain has become unbearable. It was a pilonadal abscess, which was extremely painful to drain. I wanted to follow up to those who may read this in the future. DO NOT WAIT IF YOU HAVE THIS. Go to you doctor immediately. This went from a nuisance to a emergency in 48 hours. The procedure hurts enough to begin with, its better to have it done before the entire area is swollen and sore.

Susan Evans, MD replied to nesba263's response:
Dear nesba263,

I'm very glad to hear that you got medical attention. Many times we think we can just "stand it" a little bit longer and it will get better. Instead, the infection only continues to grow, and as you pointed out, went from being a painful nuisance to a medical emergency in the matter of two days.

Best wishes for a rapid recovery.

Best,

Dr. Evans

Featuring Experts

Mohiba K Tareen, MD is a board certified dermatologist who has an innovative practice in Roseville, Minnesota. Tareen Dermatology ( www.TareenDermato...More

Helpful Tips

Avoid drinking margaritas in the sun!Expert
One of the most common things that we see in the office in the summer and after winter vacations are burns from people having lime juice ... More
Was this Helpful?
12 of 13 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.