Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up
Includes Expert Content
Rash all over body from taking antibiotics
sicknawesome posted:
Hello,

My friend is currently taking antibiotics for a sore throat and developed a massive rash all over her body that can be described as small and large red spots, mainly on thighs. She visited the doctors and they told her it was an allergic reaction. All of this happened last night and she's currently at home with the rash still present. Is this a common side effect while taking antibiotics? Can anyone go into detail why this is happening and what she can do about it? Any suggestions on how to rid of the rash?

Thanks a lot for any responses! Jake.

Susan Evans, MD responded:
Dear Jake,

I hope your friend has stopped taking the antibiotics. This is an allergic reaction and your friend will need to mention this anytime she is asked if she has any drug allergies.

Such a reaction can become very, very severe if she continues to take the medication. She should never take this medication again.

Most people get relief simply by discontinuing the medication, but it can take a day or two, or three before it is out of her system. In the meantime, she could try take Benadryl, which would counteract the itching and redness that she is experiencing.

Reactions to medications are relatively common, which is why you are always asked if you have any medication allergies.

Best,

Dr. Evans

Featuring Experts

Mohiba K Tareen, MD is a board certified dermatologist who has an innovative practice in Roseville, Minnesota. Tareen Dermatology ( www.TareenDermato...More

Helpful Tips

noseeums - no-see-ums
I have suffered with the noseeums. DEET works and there is some information about prevention at www.http://noseeums.org/ More
Was this Helpful?
1 of 2 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.