Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up
Rashes caused by Black mold.
avatar
missdetroit posted:
My home has a lot of black mold. I bought it 3 years ago, and it was here. I didn't know what it was back then, and I cleaned it up, and covered the area I found it, (under bath sink), with contact paper. As I lived here longer I realized there must have been a flood in 3 rooms of my house. The bathroom, hall, bedroom, and kitchen. I planned on selling the house in a few years, as I really didn't like it, or the area. I had it on the market for 2 years, not one offer, so I took it off the market. Figured I would put it back up when I felt better. I'm disabled, but also was experiencing a lot of allergy type problems. I kept thinking it was a cold, then I thought it was the flu. Plus, I developed a terrible rash on the back of my neck. I've had it for months, and it itches, then will pus a little, (without me touching it), and the skin feels like leather around it, and it's driving me crazy. Today I did extended research online on black mold. My sister in law were talking about the mold I had seen, and she said it is very dangerous. So, I went to the computer. I think this house is infested with black mold. It can't be cleaned because I have asbestos siding on the house from the 1950's, and you cannot disturb it or it releases asbestos into the air. I had never seen or heard of asbestos siding before, and wasn't told what the siding was made of when the realtor sold me the house or it was inspected. I have COPD so I cannot stay here. Basically, the house would need to be bulldozed, and I can't afford that on social security. Since moving here, my 2 dogs started to have terrible breathing problems. After one died of CHF, I went and adopted a little chihuahua mix. I've had her 2 years and now she is having the same breathing problems as her brother, and the one that passed. I know it is all mold. For a long time I thought it was the new carpet bothering them. (I bought it shortly after I bought the house). But, now with my symptoms and what I've read and seen online, I am totally freaking out. I'm ready to abandon this place like today. But I still am paying a mortgage. Insurance won't cover it I don't think, plus I'm not insured enough to tear down the house and rebuild. I'm scared for my health and my dogs health. I don't know what to do about this house, and need some advice. Has anyone had this problem? I live in Tennessee. Thanks!! Oh, by the way, black mold causes so much of what people just assume is a little sniffle, a bug bite, or a chest cold. Have your house tested, or at least research it if you think you need to. Thankyou.
Reply


Featuring Experts

Mohiba K Tareen, MD is a board certified dermatologist who has an innovative practice in Roseville, Minnesota. Tareen Dermatology ( www.TareenDermato...More

Helpful Tips

Treatment for StingsExpert
Keep a container of meat tenderizer by the kitchen sink. If someone gets stung, make a quick paste by putting some of the meat tenderizer ... More
Was this Helpful?
4 of 6 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

  • Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.