Skip to content
Includes Expert Content
Rear End Crack Skin Irritation 2nd post; nobody responded last week and this had gotten serious
An_207611 posted:
I'm having a sking problem with the area just above and below my butt crack...not on my actual rectum; just the skin at the top and bottom. I'm 42, weekend athlete that rides mountain bike and swims often. This past summer around August, I developed irritation in these two areas after riding with cycling shorts 3 times in one week. Having a 2 year old, I started using Balmex that we had around the house but it didn't help.

This is now going on four months and getting more irritating. I started using baby wipes after bm, but not helping. I've tried just about every antibiotic cream and 1% hydrocortisone but nothing works. When I sit on the toilet, it spreads the skin and stings. Again, there is nothing in my actual rectal area, just the 1-2 inches above and below it. When I look with mirror it is pinkish red with many small cracks.

Three weeks ago I got fairly bad sinus infection and was put on two oral antibiotics but they did not help this skin problem (did clear up my sinus though).

Can anyone offer any advice? This is getting quite uncomfortable and I'm too embarrassed to visit the doctor unless nothing else works!

Annie_WebMD_Staff responded:
Hi Anon_131372,

This is the holiday season so please realize that many of our health professionals and our board moderators and staff are on holidays and so may not get to questions as quickly. Another moderator has replied to your question on your other thread:

http://forums.webmd.com/3/skin-problems-and-treatments-exchange/forum/2479/0

- Annie

LJeight replied to Annie_WebMD_Staff's response:
Annie:

Thank you for directing me to this but the reply was to question about warts on the rear end, not my more specific skin problem. Any advice would be appreicated.

cls5m responded:
I've had this prob before and vaseline worked for me. Put it on after bathing that way it absorbs and sooths the skin. I'm pretty sure it's from perspiration or friction when you cycle so before exercise sprinkle some cornstarch baby powder in the area to keep it dry when you perspire.

Susan Evans, MD responded:
Dear Anon 131372,

It is possible that you're experiencing either a yeast or fungal infection as the result of the friction, heat, moisture, and contact with the fabric of your bicycling shorts. This is merely speculation. I cannot possibly provide a diagnosis without the benefit of a physical exam and access to your past medical history.

As for being embarrassed about going to the doctor, we've all seen much worse. You're doing yourself a disservice by continuing to suffer when a single trip to the doctor could likely quickly diagnose your problem and get you started on a treatment regimen that will provide relief.

Best,

Dr. Evans

Featuring Experts

Mohiba K Tareen, MD is a board certified dermatologist who has an innovative practice in Roseville, Minnesota. Tareen Dermatology ( www.TareenDermato...More

Helpful Tips

Treatment for StingsExpert
Keep a container of meat tenderizer by the kitchen sink. If someone gets stung, make a quick paste by putting some of the meat tenderizer ... More
Was this Helpful?
5 of 7 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.