Skip to content
twisted fingernails
jessesgirl929 posted:
Not sure if this is the right place to post this question so if there is somewhere better to post this, please let me know.

I have several fingernails that are twisting. Not the normal curving down or clubbing, my fingernails are twisting sideways. I can't find anything on the internet about nails twisting like this, so I'm hoping that someone will have some insight for me. Thanks!

Annie_WebMD_Staff responded:
Hi jessesgirl929,

Please take a look at this WebMD slideshow:
Slideshow: What Your Nails Say About Your Health

this video:Nail Health Can Reflect Your Overall Health

and read this article Nail Problems and Injuries - Topic Overview for help with your questions. Please visit your family doctor or your dermatologist for help to get a diagnosis and treatment if necessary.

Take care!

- Annie

likalaruku replied to Annie_WebMD_Staff's response:
I think I know what she's talking about & nothing on your link applies.

It's a hereditary thing you inherit that gets worse with each generation & each person in the family who has it has it on the same fingers, which is usually only one finger, maybe one on each hand.

It only applies to the free edge part of the nail. The nail grows normally, then a few millimeters away the nail starts to curve downwards. As it grows longer, it starts to spiral like a corkscrew. If it gets long enough without breaking, the fingernail will appear to be growing upside down at a point before it twists again. Clipped short, the nail looks like the roof of a house or home plate.

Featuring Experts

Mohiba K Tareen, MD is a board certified dermatologist who has an innovative practice in Roseville, Minnesota. Tareen Dermatology ( www.TareenDermato...More

Helpful Tips

I THINK I HAVE FOUND A CURE
PEOPLE READ MY RESPONSE CALLED "I HAVE FOUND A CURE" it is an actual description of how, not a link to some pay site it cured it for ... More
Was this Helpful?
1 of 3 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.