Skip to content
Includes Expert Content
Dermatitis herpetiformis question
posmindset posted:
I have celiac disease and I'm pretty sure i have dermatitis herpetiformis.

Besides gluten being a main reason for these symptoms, can soaps and shampoos cause the symptoms from DH to occur?

Occasionally i will geta very itchy pimple the size of a mosquito bite in the same area on my ankle.

I wondering if I should try to switch to non scented soaps if that would help to make the rash disappear quicker.

if so, are there any recommendations for soaps and shampoos?

thanks

Annie_WebMD_Staff responded:
Hi posmindset,

If you have celiac disease and you are allergic to wheat gluten, then you may want to really look at your skin care products to see if wheat or any type of gluten is listed as an ingredient. These ingredients are used as protein and thickeners in shampoos.

Bar soaps can leave a residue on your skin when you are showering so try using liquid body washes that don't contain fragrances. You really do have to look at a product's ingredient label to see if fragrances are listed or if the product says it's fragrance free. Even if a product says that its hypoallergenic or fragrance free, you really do have to try them to see if you are allergic to the product or not.

Look in the skin care aisle of the drugstore and ask the drugstore beauty advisors and the pharmacist too as they can likely help you pick out something to try.

For more help with your questions please visit our WebMD Allergies Community and the Celiac Support board.

- Annie

Susan Evans, MD responded:
Dear posmindset,

You are correct DH is usually due to a gluten allergy and not a herpes virus as the name may suggest. DH results from an allergy to IgA. IgA is produced by the lining of the intestines.

The rash is caused when IgA and protein combine and enter the blood stream and release chemicals. Iodine is required for this reaction. Therefore, individuals with DH should avoid using iodized salt or compounds with a high iodine content. In addition, avoid products that contain oatmeal or wheat which may also trigger a response.

Best,

Dr Evans

posmindset replied to Annie_WebMD_Staff's response:
thanks you both for your help

yzhenry replied to Susan Evans, MD's response:
I was recently diag. this past Feb 2013. I only have a rash that comes in the usual places. I am skeptical of Dapsone due to the side effects. Is there any chance that tetracycline would help.

igetadeal responded:
Your problem is quite common. This is an allergenic problem. I want to suggest you that you can try obagi kits. This is very helpful and effective for all. You can get obagi discount on obagi product.

Featuring Experts

Mohiba K Tareen, MD is a board certified dermatologist who has an innovative practice in Roseville, Minnesota. Tareen Dermatology ( www.TareenDermato...More

Helpful Tips

Treatment for StingsExpert
Keep a container of meat tenderizer by the kitchen sink. If someone gets stung, make a quick paste by putting some of the meat tenderizer ... More
Was this Helpful?
4 of 6 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.