Skip to content
Longitudinal Brown Line on Right Hand Pinky Nail
duskmite posted:
Hi my name Kirsten, I have one longitudinal brown line running down my pinky nail of my right hand. It has been growing from the cuticle for at a year. I have observed it grow slightly wider in thickness throughout this time period. I am worried about the possible causes for it ie. melanoma, is there anything else that could be causing it?

In the picture the line is a little darker.

Thank you for any help!

duskmite responded:
Sorry the picture did not show!

Annie_WebMD_Staff responded:
Hi Kirsten,

Please look at this nail slideshow and read this article Nail Problems and Injuries - Topic Overview before seeing your doctor for help. Melanoma is a very serious type of skin cancer and we do have a Melanoma Health Center and a WebMD Melanoma/Skin Cancer Community for more help with your questions too.

- Annie

floydette responded:
Hi. I was wondering if you ever found out what that was. I have the same thing on my left thumbnail, but not on any of my other fingers or toes.

Featuring Experts

Mohiba K Tareen, MD is a board certified dermatologist who has an innovative practice in Roseville, Minnesota. Tareen Dermatology ( www.TareenDermato...More

Helpful Tips

Treatment for StingsExpert
Keep a container of meat tenderizer by the kitchen sink. If someone gets stung, make a quick paste by putting some of the meat tenderizer ... More
Was this Helpful?
5 of 7 found this helpful